question

bobbygill avatar image
bobbygill asked bobbygill commented

Implementing a custom payment method that leverages an NFC wirstband?

We're developing a system whereby we want people to be able to pay for orders on Clover using a custom NFC wrist bands that will deduct credits from the user associated with that NFC band and use it as payment on the Clover system. We envision this working like a gift card that instead of using a card is leveraging a NFC wristband.

1.) Is the custom tenders approach outlined here https://docs.clover.com/build/custom-... the correct approach for implementing such a scheme?

2.) in the custom tender app we build to implement the above, are we able to still leverage the device's NFC reader to communicate with our NFC wrist bands or has the Clover system locked down access to this?

Appreciate the help!

1 comment
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

bobbygill avatar image bobbygill commented ·

Thanks @jeff . Now assuming I was able to get a USB reader whitelabelled and working on the clover unit could you comment on my initial 2 questions on the thread?

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

Jeffrey Blattman avatar image
Jeffrey Blattman answered bobbygill commented

Unless your NFC wristband emulates an EMV-compliant payment card, you cannot do this. Clover Mini and Mobile do not contain a general purpose NFC reader. The reader is for reading payment cards only.

EDIT: If you are using a USB NFC reader, then

1) Yes, you would use a custom tender. Please note that there are restrictions around what sort of alternate payment processing methods are allowed. Please email appmarketbusiness@clover.com to inquire.

2) Yes, the custom tender app is just a regular Clover Android app and your custom tender responder is a regular Android activity.

6 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thanks for the quick response. Would it be possible to leverage an external NFC reader (via USB) so that I would be able to access a non-payment NFC wristband?

0 Likes 0 ·
Al Connelly avatar image Al Connelly commented ·

I would be interested in something like this as well, are they any plans to open that up to allow for that?

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeffrey Blattman avatar image Jeffrey Blattman ♦♦ commented ·

@bobbygill yes your app can make use of USB peripherals. Note that we do lock down access so you'd need to request the device to be white listed in our system.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeffrey Blattman avatar image Jeffrey Blattman ♦♦ commented ·

@Al Connelly there's interest but nothing on the horizon.

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks @jeff , is there a list of the devices which are white labelled? Would we need to have it white labelled to even work with it on a Sandbox unit?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community