question

alireza avatar image
alireza asked martin44 edited

Unable to debug over usb on Clover flex 3 on Macos

I'm unable to connect to Clover Flex 3 Development Kit over USB.

I have read and followed all the steps in Clover Dev Kit Page. I'm using the following:

1. Clover Flex 3 Development Kit
2. MacOS Ventura 13.2.1
3. Android Studio Electric Eel | 2022.1.1 Patch 1
4. StarTech Micro USB a to b which is a recommended one
5. Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.41
6. Platform-tools version 33.0.3-8952118

I have also enabled developer options on my Clover device as well as enabled USB debugging. I have also restarted my Macbook and the Development Kit device multiple times. I also have added the vendor id to the "adb_usb.ini" file.

Could anyone help me out with this situation?

Clover FlexDevKit
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

tanaybh avatar image
tanaybh answered

Can you make sure that when you are connecting the cable to the Clover device, the screw is pointing downwards?

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

louise786 avatar image
louise786 answered

Double-check if the cable is functioning properly by using another cable or testing it with another device.

10 |2000

John Turnipseed avatar image
John Turnipseed answered martin44 edited

I have just been fighting this same issue (Mac OS 12, Monterey) and a Flex 3 Dev Kit today and found a solution described below.

Let me preface this by saying that I tried all of the below in multiple combinations multiple times:

• Ensured Developer mode was enabled on the Flex 3
  • Toggling both USB Debugging and Developer mode itself off/on
  • Revoking authorizations
  • Rebooting both Flex and my Mac
  • Various USB A/B cables, including one that was working successfully with a Flex 2 Dev Kit.

I eventually started the "Troubleshoot Device Connections" tool window in Android Studio. This provided a list of all USB devices connected to the Mac (Android or not).

I know this sounds insane, but I could only get the Flex 3 device to show up once I flipped the USB C connector so the screws on it were heads down. USB C connections are supposed to be orientation agnostic, but it isn't in with this cable/device. I don't know if the screw orientations are even consistent from device to device, so your mileage may vary. Try it each way until you find an orientation that works.

NOTE: This is not the end of the story...

The next problem was that Android Studio showed the device pending authorization, but the Flex device was not showing a dialog to grant authorization. Neither rebooting, nor disconnecting/reconnecting USB would trigger the dialog to show.

On the Flex device I swiped down the top system bar and found a "USB Debugging" notification. It may have a gear icon next to it, or if you press and hold it, you may find it se to "Silent"... Switch it to "Alerting".

Once I did that, and I disconnected/reconnected the USB C cable, the standard ADB authorization dialog appeared.

I hope this helps others who find themselves stuck in this situation.

-=- John

2 comments
10 |2000

Richelle Herrli avatar image Richelle Herrli ♦♦ commented ·

I can confirm that you do need to pay attention to the orientation of the cable when connecting a Flex 3 to a computer for debugging. You can find this information in our video on setting up the Flex 3 for development. https://youtu.be/R94x07LeXt0

0 Likes 0 ·
martin44 avatar image martin44 commented ·

Often, problems can be related to system settings or software conflicts. To optimise your Mac's performance and free up storage space, I recommend reading the tips here https://setapp.com/how-to/how-to-clean-up-other-storage-on-mac Also make sure you've enabled USB debugging in your device and macOS settings

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community