question

SAMSA Web Team avatar image
SAMSA Web Team asked Jeffrey Blattman commented

Passing extra data with sale request

Is there a way to send extra information when making a SaleRequest? I have something implemented where I can send a reference id with the setExternalReferenceId method and the document says that it accepts a string type which works fine. But now I need to send a string that is in the format of xxxx|xxxx|xxxx which I tried to pass through the same method and the clover terminal gives the error saying Invoice ID can't exceed 12 characters. Is there another method that I could use to do this? Or something else that you could recommend to pass string value? I didn't see anything relevant in the docs.

Clover Mini
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
David Marginian avatar image
David Marginian Deactivated answered Jeffrey Blattman commented

What are you trying to accomplish with the extra data you want to pass? As you have mentioned the externalReferenceId cannot exceed 12 characters and that is a restriction of the gateway.

9 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

SAMSA Web Team avatar image SAMSA Web Team commented ·

These are reference ids we use to keep track of items in our database. Is there any other method that I could use to pass these data? The possibility of breaking up the ids with the "|" delimiter is still there if that helps in any way to pass the data

0 Likes 0 ·
David Marginian avatar image David Marginian ♦♦ SAMSA Web Team commented ·

externalReferenceId is a field that passes thru to the gateway and is stored there. I am not exactly sure why but some POSs need a value that is stored at the gateway. It sounds like for your use case you should be using externalId, you may want to review our best practices: https://docs.clover.com/docs/remote-pay-sdk-best-practices.

0 Likes 0 ·
SAMSA Web Team avatar image SAMSA Web Team David Marginian ♦♦ commented ·

Not really sure on how externalIds work on clover but do they have to be unique? Because the reference Ids we are trying to pass may not be unique all the time. At the moment the external ids are generated using the getNewId method in clover and that seemed the best route

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community