question

matt avatar image
matt asked David Marginian Deactivated commented

Switch the subscription in trial phase

Since it cannot be tested by us developers: Can a merchant switch e.g. from a free subscription to a paid subscription within the trial period without paying anything? I notice that some merchants opt for a free subscription right from the beginning (low number of features), even when they would get a free trial for one of the usually paid subscriptions for the first 30 days.

Will a customer be notified by Clover before the paid subscription really starts?

App Market
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

David Marginian avatar image
David Marginian Deactivated answered David Marginian Deactivated commented

I asked billing about this. We don't treat the free subscription any differently than a normal subscription tier. What this means is that the trial would start once the paid subscription was selected. So if the merchant switched from the free plan to a paid plan today (June 29th) they would be billed starting August (assuming a 30 day trial). The merchant will receive an email when the trial is about to expire.

2 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

matt avatar image matt commented ·

I thought customers might waste their 30-day-trial-period with the free subscription, but if I interpret your answer right, they can still take the trial for the paid subscriptions later? (your second sentence is a bit misleading IMHO as it would mean that the trial is running also for the free subscription tier)

0 Likes 0 ·
David Marginian avatar image David Marginian ♦♦ matt commented ·

I think you interpreted my answer correctly. Let me try to clarify my second statement. If a merchant has been on the free plan for awhile and on June 29th they switch to the paid, they will get the month of July free (trial) and billing will start in August (we bill ahead) - https://docs.clover.com/docs/monetizing-your-apps.

Clover bills the merchant in advance for the current month’s subscription on a recurring monthly schedule and initiates charges for the current month’s subscription in advance unless there is a trial period. Clover then adjusts daily charges for new app installs and uninstalls, subscription upgrade or downgrades, or trial period ending.
For example, a merchant installs a gift card app on 1 June which charges $10 a month for up to five gift cards. Clover exports an advance charge of $10 in June unless the merchant has a 30-day trial period. If there is a trial period, Clover exports an advance of $10 for July which is accounted for in the July statement.

Does this help?

0 Likes 0 ·

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community