question

seb avatar image
seb asked seb commented

App definition

Hello,

We are building an app for customers, allowing them to order and pay for their tab from their phone once seated at a table inside a restaurant.

I am pretty sure that the Clover API supports the following requirements:
- Accessing a restaurant's menu
- Opening an order
- Updating an order
- Paying for an order (in 1 or many transactions)

My main question is how would this app be defined? It's not an app that restaurant managers will install on their Clover systems since it's a customer app (running on the customers phone). Would this app still need to be published on the Clover App Market?

Also which API covers this use case, REST or ecommerce?

Many thanks for the support

App Market
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
David Marginian avatar image
David Marginian Deactivated answered seb commented

Is your expectation that any customer will be able to install your application and then use it to create and pay for an order at any Clover merchant, without the merchant's knowledge/consent? If so, I don't see a way for an app like that to work in the current Clover ecosystem.

In order for this to work you would need to create a Clover app (in this case it would be a web/REST client app) and get it approved and published in the Clover App Market. Then your app can access a merchant's inventory, create an order and pay for that order, but only if the merchant provides your app the authority to do so. This is done when the merchant installs your application (through the Clover app market) and you follow our OAuth flow to obtain a token on their behalf - https://docs.clover.com/clover-platform/docs/using-oauth-20.

If you would like to discuss this in more detail I suggest you contact appmarketbusiness@clover.com.

3 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

seb avatar image seb commented ·

Well, the goal is for the merchant to grant our app all the required permissions, so that when a customer comes in and has our app on their phone, they can use it to pay. But in the end it's only a customer app. There is no app for the merchant really.

Maybe another way to look at it is, is there a way for a merchant to provide our app the authority to do that, but without having them install an app on their side (which wouldn't make sense in this case)?

0 Likes 0 ·
David Marginian avatar image David Marginian ♦♦ seb commented ·

No, there is not. In a case like this, you would create a web-app. This is basically a "virtual" app which is the mechanism for the merchant to grant your application access. The app still needs to be "installed" by the merchant even though no app will be downloaded to their Clover device.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb avatar image seb David Marginian ♦♦ commented ·

Ok thanks, I'll investigate that approach in more details

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community