question

servicebyfrog avatar image
servicebyfrog asked fbs commented

What is the best connection method to use for a Windows based POS running via a Remote Desktop Connection?

The goal is a semi-integrated solution. Our users connect to the server (Windows Server 2008 R2) via RDP and run the POS inside the RDP connection. The Clover devices will be connected to their local PCs so we have to get the Server based POS to talk back to their local Clover devices. Any thoughts or recommendations?

8 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jacob Abrams avatar image Jacob Abrams ♦♦ commented ·

Curious why you don't run the POS software on the local PC?

0 Likes 0 ·
servicebyfrog avatar image servicebyfrog commented ·

A lot of reasons, too many to list. So, after more review it looks like our options are either Remote web socket or the REST Api. Unfortunately we have been unsuccessful in our attempts to talk to our mini devkit remotely. We do not use Visual Studio for development so the remote-pay-windows example is of little use to us.

0 Likes 0 ·
hammer avatar image hammer ♦ commented ·

This is a use case we have not tried. We are looking at this to determine if it possible to connect using the windows client to the remote pay Cloud Pay display. Will let you know results.

0 Likes 0 ·
hammer avatar image hammer ♦ commented ·

After some internal discussions, we have determined that there are some possible paths, but none that are straightforward. Very briefly; 1. The REST option requires a local installation on the Merchants PC. 2. The web socket is either a direct connection to the device IP (LAN), or thru the Cloud - which is as of yet unsupported. These scenarios are untested, and there are many obstacles that must be considered, but more information would be required before moving forward.

0 Likes 0 ·

What information do you need? Should we get on a call?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

1 Answer

hammer avatar image
hammer answered fbs commented

In order to use the web socket technique in the development environment, the Network/Lan Pay Display must be installed on the device. Currently, this requires help from Clover support (the application is not yet published).

3 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

It appears the websocket logic to the LAN pay display is different than the local version. I am not receiving messages back like I do when running the local version. For the local version it is as simple as sending a properly formatted json string. After initial local load I see a lot of messages come back. For the remote version I am only seeing onhandshaked event. What should I use to send and receive messages via a remote connetion to the Lan pay display?

0 Likes 0 ·
blake avatar image blake ♦ commented ·

You are right, the API to LAN Pay Display is different than the WebSocket Service API. The WebSocket Windows Service exposes an interface that parallels the CloverConnector class, which is the higher level API. The LAN Pay Display exposes a lower level API on the device. Here is an example of communicating with the WebSocket Windows Service:

https://github.com/clover/remote-pay-...

0 Likes 0 ·
fbs avatar image fbs commented ·

It is mentioned in one of the comments above from Hammer that "1. The REST option requires a local installation on the Merchants PC." I have installed the service in the Merchant local PC but still can't connect. What other config is required?

0 Likes 0 ·

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community