question

awaegel avatar image
awaegel asked markjay sent

Using REST API for simple internal integration

Hello,

I'm veteran web developer who's new to Clover, and have a question about how to access our merchant data via the REST API.

The use case is querying Clover data from our website's administrative backend in order to generate on-demand reports of recent sales and current inventory levels.

There's seems to be a way to generate an API token directly from my Merchant Dashboard screen, but it seems that can no longer be used to access production data.

Instead, the docs (https://docs.clover.com/docs/using-oauth-20) direct me to set up a developer account and develop a Clover 'app', which I then install on my Merchant account. We then use standard OAuth techniques to obtain an authorization code and trade it for an access token that we can use to make an API request.

This basically makes sense, but I'm confused about taking this into production - It seems like I need to publish this 'app' in the Clover App marketplace, then connect it to my production account. Naturally I'm reluctant to do this, as we would never ever want any other Merchant to access this app.

Is this the only way for me to access my production data? All of the API documentation seems to be for the use case of Developers publishing Apps into the Marketplace, and while I'm willing to do this, it just seems like the wrong path.

Thanks for any feedback!

I've read previous posts on this forum from a few years back and it seems like I'm not the only one who's confused.

REST APIApp MarketOAuth
2 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

tomdanny avatar image tomdanny commented ·

Explore the utilization of REST API for straightforward internal integration with guidance from Deals in Dubai. Our specialized team offers support to facilitate seamless communication and data exchange between internal systems, enhancing operational efficiency and productivity. Whether it's configuring endpoints, implementing authentication mechanisms, or optimizing data transmission, we provide solutions to streamline internal integration processes effectively. Trust Deals in Dubai to assist you in leveraging REST API for simple and efficient internal integration.

-2 Likes -2 ·
tomdanny avatar image tomdanny commented ·

Leveraging REST API for internal integration simplifies data exchange between different systems within an organization. With its lightweight architecture and flexibility, REST API enables seamless communication, facilitating smooth workflow automation and enhancing productivity. Hoodies mplementing REST API for internal integration streamlines processes, reduces manual intervention, and fosters collaboration across departments. By harnessing the power of REST API, organizations can optimize operations and drive innovation while maintaining scalability and reliability in their internal systems.

-2 Likes -2 ·
parquet76 avatar image
parquet76 answered

Clover discourages the use of merchant tokens, but they are perfectly fine to use in cases like this and will work on production. You can easily test this to verify what I am saying.

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

awaegel avatar image
awaegel answered akr commented

Thanks - However I get "401 Unauthorized" when I try one of these tokens with the production API endpoints, so this might not work anymore.

6 comments
10 |2000

parquet76 avatar image parquet76 commented ·
Are you making the call directly from a web browser? If you are, you can't, you need to proxy the call via your server. Otherwise, you are either passing the token incorrectly or are using an improper merchant id (13 char alpha-numeric, check the URL in your dashboard for the correct id)
0 Likes 0 ·
awaegel avatar image awaegel parquet76 commented ·

I'm using curl from a command line like this:

curl --request GET --url 'https://api.clover.com/v3/merchants/<13-char-id>'  --header 'accept: application/json'  --header 'authorization: Bearer <api-token-long-uuid>'

I've set up a Clover sandbox developer account and this scheme works perfectly there (once I learned where to find the actual merchant id).

Will continue to dig and post what I find; appreciate the suggestions.

-1 Like -1 ·
jasondean avatar image jasondean awaegel commented ·
Are you using Windows CLI with that curl command?

I had to use PowerShell 7 to get the command line to work (and scripted to simply pull data using Task Scheduler).

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
kishorevikas777 avatar image
kishorevikas777 answered

REST API integration refers to connecting with third-party applications using HTTPS requests to access and transmit data. With several cloud applications, mobile apps, and IoT devices emerging on the digital horizon, businesses are discovering practical uses for these streaming sources.

delta executor website

10 |2000

tomdanny avatar image
tomdanny answered

Explore the utilization of REST API for straightforward internal integration with guidance from Deals in Dubai. Our specialized team offers support to facilitate seamless communication and data exchange between internal systems, enhancing operational efficiency and productivity. Whether it's configuring endpoints, implementing authentication mechanisms, or optimizing data transmission, we provide solutions to streamline internal integration processes effectively. Trust Deals in Dubai to assist you in leveraging REST API for simple and efficient internal integration.

10 |2000

tomdanny avatar image
tomdanny answered

Leveraging REST API for internal integration simplifies data exchange between different systems within an organization. With its lightweight architecture and flexibility, REST API enables seamless communication, facilitating smooth workflow automation and enhancing productivity. Hoodies mplementing REST API for internal integration streamlines processes, reduces manual intervention, and fosters collaboration across departments. By harnessing the power of REST API, organizations can optimize operations and drive innovation while maintaining scalability and reliability in their internal systems.

10 |2000

kishorevikas777 avatar image
kishorevikas777 answered

delta executor website is the most sought-after Roblox agent. However it has just been accessible for a couple of months, its prominence has outperformed that of the Roblox capers

wink mod apk is fundamentally a free video altering portable application for Android, created by Meitu Ltd. China.

10 |2000

essie-63 avatar image
essie-63 answered

Using a REST API for internal integration is a common and efficient way to enable communication between different systems or services within an organization.

10 |2000

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community