question

jflaplante avatar image
jflaplante asked jflaplante commented

Difficult onboarding - Basic Oauth stuff

Hello to everyone. Context: I'm a merchant who operate a seasonal business (maple related) but I also have a small IT Consulting shop that not merchant related. Several years ago I did my own semi-integration with Moneris using my production terminal. A Clover employee (not the resseller) told me that I could easily do the same using Merchant API Tokens so I ordered 2x Mini v3 terminal and sent back my Moneris Terminal. I had a whole month to do that simple task so it wasn't a big risk.

It turned out that this could NOT be done and I was unintentionally mislead so I had to order a Mini v3 Dev Kit which I received yesterday. I was also told that it was a minor problem since the new tokens expire after a year but that seems incompatible with what I read in the comments here. While waiting for the Dev Kit I opened my Sandbox account and also my Production Developer Account. I tried to use the same email for all 3 but it turns out that the Clover systems seems to become confused and I then used different emails than my merchant one and now all 3 accounts are opened. I also see a sandbox section in the Production Developer account but that is not my question.

So... The Clover Pay Display API semi-integration is very different from the Moneris semi-integration but the various HTTP calls were a walk in the park. What is not a walk in the park are the various tokens that seem incompatible withthe way I operate my software. I may have other questions on that later. For now, all I'm trying to do is to get 'something', anything working and build from there. It may be just me but starting from scratch although it is very detailed, I find the documentation very confusing. There's a lot of 'you can't go there from here' stuff that isn't well documented.

I wanted to use the POSTman example found here:

https://docs.clover.com/docs/using-postman-rest-pay-api

But even that is not working properly. I followed every steps and it always end up at the same place where the Postman windows open for me to enter my credentials as expected and after I press 'login' I see the rotating clover and nothing happens and Postman never gets it token. I did it 3 times with a blank Postman workspace just to be sure.

I then found another example to get a token here:

https://docs.clover.com/docs/obtaining-an-oauth-token

That way works in the sense that I get an access token in the end but I can't do anything with it, I can't even do a ping call. I get an 'unauthorized' reply when I do that with a fresh manually acquired token.

Again, all I need is to get something working and build from there. My semi-integration is super simple. It is a web based POS that I designed and I only need payment capabilities, nothing else, no tips no nothing. Part of my system is an autonomous payment station in kiosk mode which obviously cannot be launched from the merchant panel but that another question...

I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction to get the ball rolling since it would appear that I'm not able to do it with the examples in the documentation. I read the blog post on tokens and also the youtube video here but it didn't really help. I understand the principle but can't get an example to work.

Thanks in advance.

JF.

access token
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

parquet76 avatar image
parquet76 answered

Rest pay API is pretty well documented, have you tried following all the steps here - https://docs.clover.com/docs/rest-pay-development-basics?

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jflaplante avatar image
jflaplante answered jflaplante commented

Yes, those are the basic steps I did. But I can't even reach the REST Pay Display API, I can't even get a access token. That is why I followed the Postman tutorial which didn't work either.

4 comments
10 |2000

parquet76 avatar image parquet76 commented ·

Well, I am not sure how to help. You wrote a lot in your original post but you didn't provide many details. There could be several things that you are doing wrong. App permissions, etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
jflaplante avatar image jflaplante parquet76 commented ·
The app permissions are 'merchant: read' as directed by the example. I just want to do the basic Postman Oauth tutorial so I guess my question is: As it stands right now is any body able to get it to work recently ?

I asked one other person to do it and he ended with the same result as me. I (or my environment) could very well be the problem and I was hoping that if someone had the same problem as me they could share how they solved it.
0 Likes 0 ·
parquet76 avatar image parquet76 jflaplante commented ·
You said you were able to get a token but that you get a 401 when making a request to rest pay API. Can you post your request to rest pay API, minus the actual token?
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community