question

Corey avatar image
Corey asked parquet76 edited

Customers who pay bill with more than one payment method cause issue with the Billing Status of an Order.

Issue:
When customers do split payment (Pay the bill total with a combination of Cash and Credit) it confuses my app because of the status change, merchants use a feature on my app to show/hide open and paid . When a customer pays with more than one payment method the orders don't show because an unrecognized payment status is used. I've waited 9 days to only be asked to provide demographic information that I have already provided and my merchant would like us to resolve this in a timely manner. To be frank, my app's purpose is to make our merchants productive and save them time, the support that you and I provide to the merchant should mirror the app's purpose. Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

How it affects my app:

My app is a KDS system. Merchant wants to see orders once they are in a paid status. Customer paying the Order with more than one method of payment causes the the order not to show because the billing status is not recognizable.

To Replicate:
1.Create an order.

2.Pay half of the order with Cash and the other half with Credit/Debit.

Proposed Solution:
Keep order Status OPEN until the order balance is fully satisfied.

P.S. - Anything that we can do to resolve this would be greatly appreciated. The merchant has already been waiting for 9 days due to non-responsive emails from developer-relations@devrel.clover.com email address.

REST API
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Corey avatar image
Corey answered parquet76 edited

The Clover Developer Relations Department Sucks. If you guys hate your job then you guys should resign. This is f***ing unacceptable. You guys ought to be a f***ing shamed.

1 comment
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

parquet76 avatar image parquet76 commented ·

Maybe you should be ashamed of the way you treat people? Regardless of your frustration level this isn't acceptable and it isn't going to help your situation. Are you too immature to realize that? You weren't very nice in other questions you have asked (came across as a know it all, condescending, a**hole) and I think it is time for someone to put you in your place. Clover employees can't do that, but I can. Shut up, and take a look at yourself and fix a few things with how you ask questions, approach people, etc.. Think about things from Clover support's perspective? Do you think they want to be yelled and cursed at? Your behavior just may be a major contributing factor in the poor support you receive. If I was in charge at Clover I would instruct my staff to ignore you. Period. No one deserves this.

You think you know everything? Based on what I have seen of you here, far from it. This is YOUR app, man. It is YOUR responsibility to do the due diligence and cover all the cases you need to support. Expecting Clover to drop everything and change something just because you found a scenario that makes your app not function as expected is extremely ignorant/ridiculous.

-1 Like -1 ·
parquet76 avatar image
parquet76 answered Corey edited

Why is your apps confusion Clover's problem? I may be missing something but it certainly seems possible to "unconfuse" your app without any changes on Clover's end.

2 comments
10 |2000

Corey avatar image Corey commented ·

THERE IS NO WORK AROUND THAT CAN FIX IT. AND I HAVE BEEN ASKING FOR HELP WITH THIS ISSUE SINCE LAST YEAR. I'VE CONSULTED WITH TWO PROGRAMMERS THAT ARE WAY MORE EXPERIENCED THAN MY LEAD DEVELOPER AND THEY SAID THE SAME THING. THE ISSUE IS THE API. IF THEY DON'T WANT TO FIX IT THEN THEY SHOULD LET US FIX IT. I AM THE ONE GETTING CURSED OUT BY MERCHANTS EVERYTIME THEY HAVE TO THROW AWAY A $50 DISH. I HAVE MANY UNANSWERED TICKETS ON HERE AND IN THE EMAIL? AND I'M THE A HOLE? I HAVE UNANSWERED TICKETS SINCE 2016. @parquet76 ARE THOSE UNANSWERED TICKETS AND EMAILS MY FAULT TOO? IS IT MY FAULT?

0 Likes 0 ·
Corey avatar image Corey commented ·

@parquet76

Sorry about the Rant. Rant is over.

Why is your apps confusion Clover's problem? I may be missing something but it certainly seems possible to "unconfuse" your app without any changes on Clover's end.

The problem is the status change when a customer pays with more than one payment method. Paying with the first method changes the status to closed. Then paying with the second payment method will change the status to open again and reset the order. This makes my app think that the order is a new order and then it will display it. Single payment method don't cause any problems.

We looked at a few options and in the end any modification we did to fix this issues, resolved this issue but causes other functions to work incorrectly.

I believe that this is a bug. Because the status doesn't need to changed so many times to close an order.

A. This is what it is doing. => Open > Closed > Open > Closed

B. If it did this the issue wouldn't exist => Open > Closed.

So, I asked why can't it work like B and I never got an answer. And I have merchants waiting for a solution.

We have a port of our app in SQUARE's ecosystem and the app doesn't have this issue. This bug is caused by how Clover are handling dual payments.

My app only handles order data. It just need to know time order created, order ID, Order type, Order Number, Item category, Item name, item modifier and order status. Users decide if they want to see open or paid orders. Cooks that only want to only see open orders will have a problem when a customer pays with cash and a credit card. I am not 100% certain how Clover is handling this but based on the apps behavior and what we are seeing it looks like they may be creating a second order to make the second payment or are just simply changing the status and order created time to a more current time. This would surely cause issue with someone working on the screen.

0 Likes 0 ·
Corey avatar image
Corey answered parquet76 commented

@parquet76 When I have a merchant yelling at me and threatening me because of app issues that are beyond my control. And then I have unanswered emails and incompetent support , it makes me feel like someone has a weapon to my head. It is unnecessarily stressful. Before the Co-Founders sold to the banks support took no more than 2 days and the merchant was able to wait. Now I tell a merchant to wait for 5 working days to not get a response until a month later if I ever get a response. Last year many of the devs were going to boycott the app market til service got better. So, is it just me? The API has issues and Clover Acknowledge that there are problems. I have emails. I have receipts. So, what you said was out of line. If you have a problem with my words that one thing. But you have no context and you're jumping to conclusions. All I want to do is provide a good product because my merchants are good people and deserve the best product we can give them. THE ISSUE IS THAT NO ONE IN DEVELOPER RELATIONS GIVES A CRAP ABOUT THE MERCHANTS. IF THEY DID THEN THERE WOULD BE A SOLUTION.

P.S- I've been in the Clover App Market since 2014. I've seen the app market devolve into crap. So, I have a right to be upset. I know what is used to be.

11 comments
10 |2000

parquet76 avatar image parquet76 commented ·

This is an incoherent rant. You had a post about a print (fired) flag which seems related and I gave you a recommendation to fix that. Did it help? I have no idea.

Now you are on to another issue and based on the context you provided I see no reason why the fix can't be in your app. You didn't explain that.

-1 Like -1 ·
Corey avatar image Corey parquet76 commented ·

@parquet76

Sorry about the Rant. Rant is over.

1. Why is your apps confusion Clover's problem? I may be missing something but it certainly seems possible to "unconfuse" your app without any changes on Clover's end.

The problem is the status change when a customer pays with more than one payment method. Paying with the first method changes the status to closed. Then paying with the second payment method will change the status to open again and reset the order. This makes my app think that the order is a new order and then it will display it. Single payment method don't cause any problems.

We looked at a few options and in the end any modification we did to fix this issues, resolved this issue but causes other functions to work incorrectly.

I believe that this is a bug. Because the status doesn't need to changed so many times to close an order.

A. This is what it is doing. => Open > Closed > Open > Closed

B. If it did this the issue wouldn't exist => Open > Closed.

So, I asked why can't it work like B and I never got an answer. And I have merchants waiting for a solution.

We have a port of our app in SQUARE's ecosystem and the app doesn't have this issue. This bug is caused by how Clover are handling dual payments.

My app only handles order data. It just need to know time order created, order ID, Order type, Order Number, Item category, Item name, item modifier and order status. Users decide if they want to see open or paid orders. Cooks that only want to only see open orders will have a problem when a customer pays with cash and a credit card. I am not 100% certain how Clover is handling this but based on the apps behavior and what we are seeing it looks like they may be creating a second order to make the second payment or are just simply changing the status and order created time to a more current time. This would surely cause issue with someone working on the screen.

0 Likes 0 ·
parquet76 avatar image parquet76 Corey commented ·

Ok, thanks for the explanation, I understand now. My initial thought is that I agree with you, it seems like it should just be open to closed. I see how this makes you unable to rely solely on the order status. Do you currently retrieve the payments with the order (using an expansion?). Could you open up your order query filters and iterate the payments to handle this?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
parquet76 avatar image
parquet76 answered parquet76 edited

Just re-reading this thread and I thought of a way to "fix" this.

"The problem is the status change when a customer pays with more than one payment method. Paying with the first method changes the status to closed. Then paying with the second payment method will change the status to open again and reset the order. This makes my app think that the order is a new order and then it will display it. Single payment method don't cause any problems."

If I understand this correctly, the issue is that when the second payment sets the order status to open there is a window of time (not sure how long this lasts and when the order gets closed again) when you may display it for a second time. If this happens the kitchen will prepare the order again resulting in a loss for the restaurant. I assume your app has some sort of mechanism for the kitchen to indicate that they have started or completed an order, right? Why can't you put all the "completed" orders into a cache (redis, whatever), keyed by the Clover order id (hopefully you persist the "external" system id on your end, if not, you should be). Then when your app retrieves orders to display it can rip through them and do a comparison against the cache and filter out any orders that exist (are "completed" according to your app)? This should have no impact on your app and should be easy to implement. Thoughts?

10 |2000

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community