question

ackroo avatar image
ackroo asked David Marginian Deactivated edited

Wrong total updates when tip amount is greater than redeem amount

Hi,

We seem to have an issue with the outstanding balance getting updated incorrectly.

Steps:

1. Have a gift card with a gift balance of $50 on it.

2. In clover dinning, set a bill for $300 (custom or items) and proceed to pay the bill

3. add 20% tip (owing is $360)

4. pay with gift card first

5. Amount owing shows as $310

Result:

The remaining portion of the bill is $310 and does display but if you wait a few seconds it updates to $300

Follup to this question

Clover Flex
7 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

David Marginian avatar image David Marginian ♦♦ commented ·
I am a bit confused, in the previous thread you said the issue was on your end so I closed the ticket.
0 Likes 0 ·
David Marginian avatar image David Marginian ♦♦ David Marginian ♦♦ commented ·

I am not an expert in this area, but it doesn't seem to me like you should be messing with the tip amount, you should be setting the amount redeemed from your card only.

0 Likes 0 ·
ackroo avatar image ackroo David Marginian ♦♦ commented ·

Hi,

Can we reopen the previous ticket and send it to the payments team.

https://community.clover.com/questions/34972/issue-terminal-display-wrong-balance.html?childToView=35001

What I ultimately need is that the amount after a gift card redemption shows the proper amount ($310 after a $50 gift card redemption, not the $300 (pre-tip amount). Servers are getting short changed and our merchants are complaining strongly.

If there is a work around until it can be addressed please let me know.
Thanks,

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

1 Answer

David Marginian avatar image
David Marginian Deactivated answered David Marginian Deactivated edited

Yes, that is how custom tenders work - it is the expected behavior.

Our custom tender integrations allow your app to set the total you paid towards an amount, a tip, or a combination of an amount and a tip. We will then initate a new payment for the remaining amount based on the information you send.

Scenario: $300 amount, 20% tip, total of $360, amount remaining on the gift card $50

In this scenario, you have a few options:

1) You apply the entire remaining balance on the gift card (50$) towards the tip. The device will initiate a new payment for 300$, which is the correct remaining amount.

2) You apply the entire remaining balance on the gift card (50$) towards the amount. The device will initiate a new payment for 250$, which is the correct remaining amount.

3) You set some combination of tip/amount.

Note, all of these options will result in the customer being prompted to tip again when the second payment is processed for the remaining balance.

Your goal in this scenario is to maintain a total tip of 60$, I understand that desire, it makes sense. You don't want the customer to pay more/less tip than they intended and you don't want your servers to get shorted.

In order to accomplish this, you have two options (I highly favor the first, this is what we do in situations like this, partial auths, etc.):

1) The easiest solution is to prompt the customer, notifying them how much of the original (gift card) payment was applied to the tip and what amount of tip they need to leave on the remaining payment to match their original tip amount.

Example:

Scenario: $300 amount, 20% tip, total of $360, amount remaining on the gift card $50

Let's say your custom tender app chooses to apply all 50$ towards the tip (you can do whatever you want). At this point your app will prompt the customer, "We have applied all 50$ remaining on your gift card toward the tip. To maintain your original tip amount you will need to tip an additional 10$ on the remaining balance of 300". This is the simplest solution, the customer could then select the "Custom" tip option from the tip selection screen and select 10$.

2) You develop some sort of algorithm that sets a combination of tip and amount that allows the customer to select the same tip % for the remaining payment but maintains the total original tip amount of 60$ across both payments. This would be very tricky to implement and couldn't be done in one pass (because as you adjust the amount/tip the new payment amount will shift). I do NOT recommend this approach as it would be complicated to implement and would still leave room for the customer to make a mistake (they would have to select the same tip % for the second payment as they did on the first).

1 comment
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

ackroo avatar image ackroo commented ·
OK, that seems to have worked.

Thank you the help.
Very much appreciated.

0 Likes 0 ·

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community