question

lizam avatar image
lizam asked lizam commented

Ability to load pictures or using additional usb camera/scaner

Hello

We are investigating clover device possibilities to start development of app with clover sdk.

One of required functionality is to catch user selfie and some scanned or captured documets. On usual mobile phone we can use camera functionality for doing this, but on clover devices is not always user-convinient(for example on Mini):

1.Is that possible to connect to clover device(Mini) USB camera? If yes, how can we access to it programmaticaly from our app (to use instead of default one)?

2. Same question is about USB scaner. For user to be able to scan and load pictures/scanned documents

3.Can we use any third party libraries/sdks or there is some limitation on clover platform? For example Acuant SDK

4.Is there any limitation connected to work with images?

5. As one of possible option of doing same: is there ability to use bluetooth connection to get files from other devices? Maybe some other connection possiible to achieve this?

Any answers and thoughts about this features will be helpful. Thanks in advance

Clover Android SDK
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Jeffrey Blattman avatar image
Jeffrey Blattman answered lizam commented

1&2. You can connect USB peripherals. They need to be whitelisted by Clover before your app can connect to them. Contact appmarketbusiness@clover.com for more information.

3. You can use 3p SDKs / libraries. They must be supported on Android of course, and the version of Android the corresponds to the Clover devices you plan to support.

4. Hard to answer as the question is a little open-ended. Remember you aren't on a PC so memory is limited which would prevent you from processing large images.

5. Some of our devices support some bluetooth protocols. It is hard to answer without knowing the specific Android SDKs you plan to use. I'd recommend starting with USB.

3 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

lizam avatar image lizam commented ·

Hello, Jeffrey. Thank you for answer.

I have some clarifying questions to make sure that my understanding is right. Please correct me if i am wrong

1&2 We need to go through some process of whitelisting specific device what we want to use, then by contacting with appmarketbusiness@clover.com we are able to get some undocumented or additional service that will give us ability to get an access to this device. Is that right?

3 According to using 3p SDKs / libraries.

If sdk or library require some Google API as its dependency, does that mean it will not work and we have no any ability to get around it?

For example Acuant SDK use com.google.android.gms:play-services-vision as its dependency. Will that work?

Thank you in advance

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeffrey Blattman avatar image Jeffrey Blattman ♦♦ lizam commented ·

1&2. You contact Clover, then Clover reviews your request and we will handle whitelisting your device. You won't be able to use the USB device connected to a Clover device until that happens. There's nothing special you need to do programmatically. Once it's whitelisting you just use your normal method for accessing the device.

3. Clover devices do not have Google Play services. You won't be able to use any 3p SDK that depends on it.

1 Like 1 ·
lizam avatar image lizam Jeffrey Blattman ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you, Jeffrey

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community