question

aslyons001 avatar image
aslyons001 asked David Marginian Deactivated commented

React App integration, question about workflow?

I am building out a React app/website that currently is just a landing page for a client that uses Clover. I'd like to integrate Clover into the site using the API for things such as loading inventory items to display on the site, making purchases etc. I don't want to edit or modify anything on the site... strictly displaying information on their Clover system, and making payments.

For example sake, my client's name is John's Kitchen. I am a little confused on the workflow and about the requirements of publishing an app on the market. Hopefully I can get a little clarification here.

If I understand correctly, I need to develop an app that would be published to the Clover app market. I would then have my client John's Kitchen download that app, so that I could load their information on to my React site, which only needs to use the APIs which are already available even if they don't download the app? Should I name it 'John's Kitchen App' because I only am integrating with the one user? How would I handle some other merchant who randomly finds the app and downloads it? Would something like this even get approved to get onto the Market? If not, is it impossible to do what I'm describing? Is there an easier way?

Apologies if this is already explained in the documentation somewhere, and I simply couldn't find it.

REST API
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
David Marginian avatar image
David Marginian Deactivated answered David Marginian Deactivated commented

If you are building an app that just needs API access for a single merchant you can use a merchant token.

5 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

aslyons001 avatar image aslyons001 commented ·

Like what is explained here?:

https://www.clover.com/help/use-api-tokens/

I seem to remember reading somewhere a statement of terms of service or something. There's no rules against me using a merchant token to have a 1:1 app to merchant website with API calls etc.? Do I still need to go through the whole OAuth process? Doesn't that require publishing an app to the market?

Thanks for the quick answer.

0 Likes 0 ·
David Marginian avatar image David Marginian ♦♦ aslyons001 commented ·

Can you tell me a bit more about your app, you said "and making payments". Can you expand on this? Do you mean card not present payments take from the website, or do you want to initiate payments that will be taken card present (on a Clover device?). This may impact my answer below.

Yes, like what is explained there. The merchant will need to generate the token with the correct permissions for the API calls you want to make and then give you the token. The rules are in place to prevent apps in our app market from doing this. If you just need access to a single merchant's data then using a merchant token is fine. No, you don't need to go through the OAuth process (you must have a Clover app to do that).

0 Likes 0 ·
aslyons001 avatar image aslyons001 David Marginian ♦♦ commented ·

Right, in this use case for payments it would be card not present. A client would make payments via the website, and I assume through the Ecommerce API. The idea is that someone can pay for their order and set a time for pickup in-store.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community