question

ismdcf avatar image
ismdcf asked David Marginian Deactivated commented

HTTP 429 High Occurrences since June 25th

Hello Team,

We have been getting the HTTP 429 Error Code too many times in our production system connected to Clover US production since June 25th.

Prior to this, we were not getting this at all, and now the rate at which we are getting this status code on-and-off has exponentially grown.

Were there any reduced rate limits imposed from June 25th onwards?
or were there any server instance-related changes that were done on the Clover production environment?

REST APIrate limits
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
David Marginian avatar image
David Marginian Deactivated answered David Marginian Deactivated commented

I don't see anything obvious that changed on our end. What endpoints are you seeing the 429s on? Are you sure your app is not seeing more traffic which would account for the 429s? Are you following our best practices for avoiding 429s - https://docs.clover.com/docs/api-usage-rate-limits? Does your app use OAuth and not merchant tokens (merchant tokens are more severely rate limited)?

4 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

ismdcf avatar image ismdcf commented ·

Thanks for the reply, I have a couple of clarifications on this, Could you please explain the difference between a merchant token and an OAuth token, currently we are either using the web OAuth flow token or the token retrieved from the Clover android SDK, is any of the above considered as a merchant token.

Also, I would you like to know if the merchant token is more strict on rate-limiting what is the threshold for it, And does that threshold not apply for OAuth Tokens

0 Likes 0 ·
David Marginian avatar image David Marginian ♦♦ ismdcf commented ·

From your description, your app is using the recommended token (OAuth) and NOT merchant tokens. You should be being rate-limited based on the link I posted. Rate limit restrictions on merchant tokens are more severe than what is described in that link (not exactly sure what they are).

0 Likes 0 ·
ismdcf avatar image ismdcf David Marginian ♦♦ commented ·

Is there a way to identify whether a token is an OAuth token or a Merchant Token? Using any form of decoding?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community