question

lhelms avatar image
lhelms asked lhelms commented

Will standard barcode scanner Android apps run on Clover devices?

I'm installing 5 Clover Mobiles at a dragstrip. This merchant has an online ticket ordering system and he needs the ability to scan the barcodes of the tickets. There are apps that can be downloaded onto Iphones and Droids that will allow the phone camera to scan the barcode. Is it possible that the CLover Mobile can intergrate with these apps and the clover scanner be utilized?

2 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jacob Abrams avatar image Jacob Abrams ♦♦ commented ·

Not clear exactly what integration you want to perform, can you describe in more detail what you are trying to do? Clover Mobile itself has a barcode scanner that can scan barcodes so you won't need a third party app on a mobile phone to scan barcodes.

0 Likes 0 ·
lhelms avatar image lhelms commented ·

There are several companies that offer online ticket order software that allows you to order and print tickets that have a barcode on them. Im looking at a particular company Tix. You can visit their sit at tix dot com. You then download their mobile scanning app to your phone so that when the ticket is presented at the gate, you can scan the ticket in and it verifies that it is a real purchased ticket. I'm trying to find out if that mobile app can be downloaded to the Clover and then the clover mobile scanner can do the scanning. I hope this clarifies the questions.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

Jacob Abrams avatar image
Jacob Abrams answered

The barcode scanner on Clover Mobile is not a standard mobile camera, any Android app that wishes to utilize it must use our interface rather than attempting to simply use the mobile camera. There is example code here: https://github.com/clover/clover-andr...

On Clover Mobile an unmodified barcode scanning android app might work, but it might look really weird and might not be accepted by our developer team.

On Clover Mini/Station an unmodified barcode scanning android app will probably work fine.

Obviously we prefer apps to use our API.

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community