question

SAMSA Team avatar image
SAMSA Team asked gonogo-dev answered

External ID 12 character limit?

Hi,

Trying to look into an error that was received from our Clover device stating "error invoice id cannot exceed 12 characters". However, we are using the external id, which we were told previously was 32 characters max. We are using the Clover API to pass the invoice information over to the Clover device for the payment. We pass our system's invoice id(s) in the external id field and if there are multiple invoices we separate them with a pipe character (I.E. XXXXX|XXXXX).

We haven't had this issue since our initial review of it back in December of 2020. Has there been any syntax change since then?

Also - Looking at what was sent to Clover, the actual length was exactly 11 characters, so I would assume that should work, but it did not.

Thanks for any insight!

-Steve

REST API
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

parquet76 avatar image
parquet76 answered parquet76 edited

So you think clover took a field that used to accept 32 chars and made it smaller so now that it only accepts 12? I would say that makes no sense and it is virtually impossible they did that. What exactly are you passing and what API are you using? If you have the request you made, post it. There is a field named externalReferenceId (not externalId), that is limited to 12 chars per the Clover documentation - https://docs.clover.com/docs/tracking-transactions-with-external-ids. Maybe you are passing that as well and that is the problem, not externalId?

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

SAMSA Team avatar image
SAMSA Team answered

Thanks for the insight. My documentation that I had indicated that both fields could be 32 characters, but this must have either been a misunderstanding on my part or someone provided me bad information. I'll look into the questions regarding the external reference id.

-Steve

10 |2000

gonogo-dev avatar image
gonogo-dev answered

For what it's worth, we encountered the same exact error and the merchant was on an old Clover plan that was recently sunset. We're currently trying to get his plan updated with Clover (as we can't do it through the dashboard since the plan is so old). Will update if this fixes it.

10 |2000

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community