question

jordonshaw avatar image
jordonshaw asked jordonshaw answered

I can't get taxes to show up on my order

Here is the data object I'm sending in to the line_items endpoint in the RestAPI:

{
    "printed": false,
    "exchanged": false,
    "refunded": false,
    "refund": {
        "transactionInfo": {
            "isTokenBasedTx": false,
            "emergencyFlag": false
        }
    },
    "isRevenue": true,
    "name": "Drip Coffee - 12oz Hot",
    "price": 355,
    "priceWithModifiers": 355,
    "taxRates": [{
        "name": "Sales Tax",
        "rate": 9750,
        "isDefault": true,
        "id": "XXXXXXXXXXXXX"
    }]
}

Here is the payment object I'm sending in to pay the order:

{
    "amount": 390,
    "tipAmount": 71,
    "taxAmount": 35,
    "tender": {
    },
    "taxRates": [{
        "isDefault": true,
        "taxableAmount": 355,
        "taxAmount": 35,
    }]
}

For some reason, the taxes will not show up on my order in my virtual terminal:
screenshot-2023-08-20-at-40649-am.png

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Jordon

REST APITaxes
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

parquet76 avatar image
parquet76 answered

Does the tax rate you are passing exist (matches an existing tax rate defined by the merchant?). There is some information on creating the tax rate in the docs: https://docs.clover.com/docs/creating-custom-orders

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jordonshaw avatar image
jordonshaw answered parquet76 commented

Yes, if I hit the tax_rates endpoint, I get:

{
            "id": "XXXXXXXXXXXXX",
            "isDefault": true
        },

I'm thinking it could be something to do with my Android emulator because if I just go to the register and ring up an order, it doesn't add taxes there either. I cannot get taxes to add to any order, no matter what I try.

5 comments
10 |2000

parquet76 avatar image parquet76 commented ·

Why don't you check the order in the dashboard? Also, why are you using that method of adding a payment? Why aren't you using Clover's ecommerce apis?

0 Likes 0 ·
jordonshaw avatar image jordonshaw parquet76 commented ·
That was a great idea, thank you! I do see the taxes in the dashboard. Thank you for that tip!

As far as the eComm apis, I looked at that first; however, I didn't see the option to add modifiers to my items or to add pickup location (i.e. Inside, Curbside, etc...)

Thank you for all your help!

0 Likes 0 ·
parquet76 avatar image parquet76 jordonshaw commented ·

I mean using the ecommerce apis for payment, not order creation. From your original post it isn't clear what API you are using for payment. It looked like you might be using the create a payment record API which is used for external tenders but I guess that isn't the case.

1 Like 1 ·
Show more comments
jordonshaw avatar image
jordonshaw answered

I figured out my issue. I had my tax rate wrong. I should of had it as 9.75%, but I had it as 0.0975%, so the calculated taxes wasn't even above 0.01, which is why they weren't showing up. This issue is now resolved.

10 |2000

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community