question

sethzuz avatar image
sethzuz asked sethzuz commented

Getting started with a complete example

I am looking for an example (something like a blog post + code) to help me get started developing an App for a clover POS. Anything will do to get us started, but for more context:

We are running a community currency experiment and want the merchants in town (several of whom use clover) to be able to accept the community currency. So, the app will need to display a QR code that the customer will scan. This will allow the customer to pay with the community currency and then the app will get notified when the payment is made and mark the order as paid.

I have installed android studio and gotten the emulator to run. As directed at https://docs.clover.com/docs/sdks-doc-resources I have looked at the clover-android-sdk and android-examples. The examples in the later repo are all pretty old. I am not sure what to do with the examples in the first repo. Is there a complete build somewhere that I can start from?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you,

Seth

Clover Android SDK
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Richelle Herrli avatar image
Richelle Herrli answered sethzuz commented

Clover POS apps are Android apps with the Clover SDK. For a general starter app, I would look to Android documentation. Is there a specific functionality you're looking to see modeled?

3 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

sethzuz avatar image sethzuz commented ·

We want to

- generate a QR code at checkout time based on the order

- then, wait for a message from our server to indicate either accept or reject payment (possibly with a tip added)

Something at the similar point in the flow would be helpful. If not, then maybe someone could indicate which of the example in this repo (or maybe somewhere else) are most similar to what we want to do?

Also, the last time I played with android was more than 10 years ago - I am sure things have changed. :) So, a complete app using current tools (gradle, etc.) would really help get me going.

Thanks,

Seth

0 Likes 0 ·
Richelle Herrli avatar image Richelle Herrli ♦♦ sethzuz commented ·

- To generate a QR code, you will most likely want to use a custom tender button. Documentation here: https://docs.clover.com/docs/creating-custom-tender-apps

- I need to know more about the overall flow to help you with that piece of the application. How does the local currency get converted into true currency? Will you be using Ecommerce API? Or something else?

Please refer to Google's documentation for Android help, bearing in mind that Clover devices are on hardened versions of Android, meaning that your app can have a targetSdk of any API level up to 25. The lowest API level a device has is 17, which may make it a good level for minSdk.

0 Likes 0 ·
sethzuz avatar image sethzuz Richelle Herrli ♦♦ commented ·
Actually it doesn't. It gets reused by the accepting merchants at other stores in town. Thanks for the tip about the API levels!!

The QR code is read by our app. The app talks to our server which debits the customer account and credits the merchants account, then signals the POS that the sale is complete, which causes the order to be completed with some kind of external payment type for their records.

If anyone knows of someone who might be interested in helping us develop this, or get us started, we can certainly compensate them.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community