question

jon avatar image
jon asked jon commented

Nightly Automatic Logoff

For our application usage, we need for our app to stay running and not be logged off by the nightly automatic logoff/update back to the login screen. Is there any configuration setting or other mechanism that we can utilize to prevent this behavior on the Clover Mini or Mobile?

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Jeffrey Blattman avatar image
Jeffrey Blattman answered jon commented

Keeping your app running at all times is extremely poor practice. Your app is one of many that are important to functioning of the device, and the device does not have enough memory and resources to keep them all running in memory at once. Without knowing what you are doing I can't offer advice but there are almost always alternatives. Regardless, you cannot ensure Android will never shut down your process. You can do things to encourage that not to happen however.

But anyway, no, you cannot prevent Clover Mobile / Mini from rebooting daily as it is a PCI requirement to do so. You can however listen for the "boot complete" to perform an action at boot time. Again, this should not be used to (try and) keep a process running at all times.

EDIT: I understand now, and you are not the first person to bring it up. We have some internal mechanism to handle this but we haven't publicized it yet. I'll file an internal issue to get it resolved. I cannot provide an ETA however.

1 comment
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jon avatar image jon commented ·

One usage for our app is as an unattended Kiosk POS solution. As the unit is unattended, the reboot causes the app to be unavailable for customer usage until a operator comes in and manually signs in and restarts the app. As we are competing with windows based Kiosk solutions that are available 24/7, this is a problem that we need to solve for the Clover platform. So if I understand your suggestion, the possibility exists to create a boot time launch app that will not violate the Clover security model that will allow us to restart our app?

0 Likes 0 ·

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community