question

jordonshaw avatar image
jordonshaw asked jordonshaw answered

Is it possible to send a notification with the Rest API without an app?

I’m sending orders in with the Rest API, but don’t have an app. Looking at the notifications endpoint, it’s asking for an App ID. I assume that means I have to have an app to push notifications or can I use the terminal ID of where I’m pushing the order?

REST API
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

parquet76 avatar image
parquet76 answered

What would you expect the notification to do if you don't have an app to receive it and take action on it? Yes, you have to have an app.

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jordonshaw avatar image
jordonshaw answered parquet76 commented

I'm pushing in the order with the RestAPI, so I would expect the notification to alert the vendor that they have a new order. I'm able to send a print job of the new order without an app, using the API, why wouldn't I be able to send a notification?

10 |2000

parquet76 avatar image
parquet76 answered parquet76 edited

How the device should behave is clear in the case of printing an order. How the device should behave when receiving a generic notification (data on the notification payload is anything you want) isn't so clear. You may want to display a notification that an order was received, but someone else may want to do something completely different. Regardless of what you or I think you must have an app to use the notifications API and I wouldn't expect that to change anytime in the near future (it took Clover many years to implement the print API via their REST API).

10 |2000

jordonshaw avatar image
jordonshaw answered

Thanks for the information!

10 |2000

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community