question

turocafe avatar image
turocafe asked tunnda2 edited

Clover Flex showing as tampered but has been sitting in my office unused for years, now they want us to order a new one

Hi, I have a clover flex that has been sitting dead, unused for a couple years because we didn't need it. I turned it on to use it today and it is showing as flagged as tampered. I called support and they said that when the device goes unused for so long it automatically gets flagged as tampered. They then said my only option is to order a new one for $375+ shipping. I asked why I was being penalized for not using the device and if there was a way to "untamper" it since I have proven that it is in my possession etc, and they could not do anything about it. Has anyone else had this issue and gotten around it? I received no information or warning that this would happen which then would have been preventable but this is not my fault. Help?

Clover Flex
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

acastaneda avatar image
acastaneda answered tunnda2 edited

Hello @
Please see our clover help page, linked from cloverdevkits.com, on the proper device storage. An excerpt from the page reads, "You can store your Flex for up to one year. If your device needs more than 12 months of storage, recharge it before continued storage". The device must be charged between uses & lack of usage. Most devices left uncharged for 2+ months will brick or die.

Also, although it shows tampered, you will likely be able to run tests on the device despite the warning. Please try to use the device as intended.

Hope this helps

3 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

parquet76 avatar image parquet76 commented ·

Guessing this is a real merchant talking about a live device from the description and user name.

0 Likes 0 ·
tunnda2 avatar image tunnda2 parquet76 commented ·

Thanks for your suggestion!!!!! EZDriveMA

0 Likes 0 ·
turocafe avatar image turocafe commented ·
Thank you is there a software update or way to untamper this device?
0 Likes 0 ·
boe avatar image
boe answered

I have precisely the same issue on two devices that I had to de-provision during Covid.

When I needed them as replacements a couple of weeks ago, they both booted fine after I charged them and I could log in and they connected to the internet fine.

Then we got them provisioned by our Card Processor and immediately we get an email stating that the device had been tampered with.

Talked to the Card Processor and they are trying to see if they can find a solution and give me a deal on a replacement.

Also talked to Clover, but they just don't care, just buy a new one was the reply.

This is a clearly a 'money grab' from Clover, disguised as "protecting us from fraud"...the devices was stored in my office and has not been tampered with...they just sat on a shelf.

I have had so many issues with the Clover Flex devices over the years (I had 4), that I am not even considering getting a replacement. I'm so done with Clover and can only urge anyone to get with another hardware provider....it can hardly be worse...

So first we get screwed over during Covid and now we get screwed over again by Clover...

For retailers considering to switch to Clover...think twice!!

10 |2000

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community