question

cem avatar image
cem asked cem commented

Can the ZIP code be made optional in e-commerce Payment I-Frame framework?

We are using e-commerce ordering API solution by using Clover I-Frame.
In this framework ZIP (postal ) code seems to be mandatory and causing many customer complains.
Can this ZIP code be made Optional and removed from I-Frame?

thanks

e-commerce api
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

David Marginian avatar image
David Marginian Deactivated answered David Marginian Deactivated converted comment to answer

I am not sure why customers would be complaining about having to enter their zip code, providing it is a standard for card-not-present payments. I am not certain if you can remove it, but even if you could, it would be unadvisable. You would be sacrificing increased risk for the merchant for a minor convenience for the customer. It is important to pass as much verifying information as possible when making card-not-present payments to reduce fraud and chargebacks.

1 comment
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

cem avatar image cem commented ·
We are using Clover e-commerce payment API with I-Frame. We see a high rate of shopping cart abandonment rate with "ZIP code not matched " error from Clover.

We see multiple tries and finally customers give up and leave.
These are low amount restaurant payments from restaurant web ordering and also at the restaurant table (with QR code ordering) , so it is very unlikely to be fraud. These customers complain to the restaurant owners about why zip code too?

Either customers do not remember their ZIP code associated with their CC or something wrong with Clover I-Frame implementation for payments.

We are trying to find a solution to reduce the customer abandonment because of ZIP code.

0 Likes 0 ·
David Marginian avatar image
David Marginian Deactivated answered cem commented

Ok, fields being removed from the iFrame is a different issue than what you seem to be after (which is to prevent declines on AVS issues). The merchant is in control here. If they would like to accept the risk of allowing zip code mismatches then they need to login to their Clover dashboard -> Account & Setup -> Fraud Tools -> Address Verification System (AVS) -> Uncheck the Postal Code rules. Please inform the merchant that this will likely mean more risk/charge backs.

3 comments
10 |2000

cem avatar image cem commented ·
Thanks for quick response David.

I checked this Fraud Tools under Account & Setup. I do not see this option in Sandbox Dashboard. Is this only available in Production System? We wanted to test this change in Sandbox first.
Thanks again.

0 Likes 0 ·
David Marginian avatar image David Marginian ♦♦ cem commented ·

It might have something to do with your merchant account, or it may just not be enabled/available in sandbox, I am not 100%. But there really isn't anything for you to test, we will simply not decline the payments anymore.

0 Likes 0 ·
cem avatar image cem David Marginian ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks David, we will try in production System then
0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community