question

perkvilledev avatar image
perkvilledev asked David Marginian Deactivated commented

Clover Dining App - attaching emails to sales and testing with sandbox.

Hello.

I am developer who has an existing integration to Clover that lets us get order information periodically.

A client, using Clover Dining App, wants to to use our Perkville integration to reward purchases of foods. The array of clients attached to food/beer orders is often empty. When users are attached they often don't have email information. Sales like this are spur of the moment.

I am looking for ways to solve this issue and get attached email information.

1. Is the only way for the client to change the way they process orders?
  2. Could there be a method using email based receipts? Can we access any information about the email the receipt was forwarded to?
  3. I would like to understand the client's process of using the Clover Dining App. I have no clover devices and I have only web interface. When I install the clover dining app to the web interface I notice no new ways to interact with it. How can I test the Clover Dining App on the sandbox web interface? Is there a way?

Thank you,

Woody

OrdersSandbox
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

David Marginian avatar image
David Marginian Deactivated answered David Marginian Deactivated edited

I don't have enough context to answer 1 and 2. If the customer isn't providing an email, how do you expect to obtain it? If your integration has customer read you could access the customer information we have which may or may not have an email address. I don't know much about Clover Dining but it isn't a web app. It is possible it will work on an emulator (you could try it) but if it doesn't you would need a devkit to try it out.

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

cloveruser808 avatar image
cloveruser808 answered

Off topic, but about your app. On your last image in the app store, you have a page that shows a confusing message. It says:

"Friends get 10% off your first purchase".

Is that supposed to say friends get 10% off their first purchase? Just wanted to point that out.

10 |2000

perkvilledev avatar image
perkvilledev answered David Marginian Deactivated commented

Thanks for considering the issue. I was too hasty in providing my question.

Let me try and clarify the situation.

Our app has read access on Customers, Orders and Payments. We have system that, when Customers are attached to orders, can look up customer information. When an order has an attached customer with a valid email address we can award them Perkville points.

The problem is that many orders we see from one client are anonymous. Think about how you and I order from a fast food restaurant: we pay but they have no idea who we are. We don't provide them an email when we pay for a burger.

I am curious if there is a clever way to connect those purchases. The only thing that has come to mind is that some customers want their receipt to be sent to their email. Can the email address used to send the receipt be captured by the API? If we told the client "Customers who use the email receipt function are eligible for points in Perkville" then that would be a quick start.

The alternative seems to be that the client just has to change how they do business: collect and create user accounts and try to attach these orders to customers with valid email addresses.

I hadn't seen much evidence that there is anything like this in the API and I don't have Clover Dining App to replicate the exact circumstances these orders are created by. I was hopeful that the community might know.

Emulation is an interesting idea... I may look into that. Thank you.

I would be curious if anyone has any ideas. Thank you for your time.

1 comment
10 |2000

David Marginian avatar image David Marginian ♦♦ commented ·

I'm pretty confident there is no mechanism in the API to obtain the receipt email. My guess is this is a data privacy type issue as well as requesting an email receipt doesn't seem like consent to share

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community