question

aehrlich avatar image
aehrlich asked Jeffrey Blattman commented

What exactly happens during APK approval?

Hi,

I recently added a crash reporter to my Clover Android app. A couple minutes after I submitted the APK, and over the next few hours, I got several crash reports from non-Clover phones: just generic Android devices like Samsung Galaxy A70 and Nexus 4.

Is this automated testing? Why does Clover test the app on generic non-Clover devices? Shouldn't my universe of testing be restricted to the emulator profiles listed on https://docs.clover.com/docs/setting-up-an-android-emulator ?

Is this related to Clover GO? If so, it is undocumented. Do I need to start worrying about all types of Android devices during my test flow now?

Thanks,

Andrew

Clover Android SDK
5 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jeffrey Blattman avatar image Jeffrey Blattman ♦♦ commented ·

Are you capturing the merchant ID or anything identifiable in the reports?

0 Likes 0 ·
aehrlich avatar image aehrlich Jeffrey Blattman ♦♦ commented ·

I will work on adding that in the next release.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeffrey Blattman avatar image Jeffrey Blattman ♦♦ commented ·

Moreover can you give me your app's package name?

0 Likes 0 ·
aehrlich avatar image aehrlich Jeffrey Blattman ♦♦ commented ·

ai.regulus.giftredeemer

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeffrey Blattman avatar image Jeffrey Blattman ♦♦ aehrlich commented ·

Confirmed your app is available to be installed to non-Clover devices. See my answer below for more information.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Jeffrey Blattman avatar image
Jeffrey Blattman answered Jeffrey Blattman commented

So...

• It's not us testing. We generally do not test on non-Clover devices, and we generally do not do automated testing on third-party apps.
  • Go doesn't use the Clover app market, as it runs on consumer devices. So it's not that. Unless your app runs on consumer devices also.

There's nothing stopping anyone from taking the APKs and installing them onto any Android device and activating them to a merchant in the same manner you'd use to activate an emulator. We don't have a good idea why people are doing that to be honest but it's harmless. You cannot accept credit card payment on a non-Clover device.

We have what I'd consider a bug that allows your app to be installed to non-Clover devices by default, with no way to unselect that. IMHO that should be a special case only. I'll try to get that addressed.

In the meantime, it's up to you whether to consider those reports. If you don't want to support those non-Clover devices then feel free to ignore them.

2 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

aehrlich avatar image aehrlich commented ·

Thanks for the detailed analysis. There is one strange thing, though. These crash reports came within a few minutes of me uploading the APK to clover, and before the APK was approved or published. They stopped coming when I got the notification that the APK was approved. So the only people who had access to the APK at the time of the crash reports were Clover and me.

The only other thing I can really glean from the 3 crash reports is that they are from a mixture of emulated and physical Android devices.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeffrey Blattman avatar image Jeffrey Blattman ♦♦ aehrlich commented ·

That is peculiar. I'll poke some more to ensure that what I wrote about us testing is correct.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community