question

jms avatar image
jms asked David Marginian Deactivated commented

Adding line items with modifiers

Hi

Is it still not possible to add modifiers while creating the line items using the bulkLineItems endpoint?

https://docs.clover.com/reference/orders-1#orderbulkcreatelineitems-2

I know this question was asked before in 2017 and was closed by Clover with a response saying that it will be logged as a feature request.

https://community.clover.com/questions/559/adding-line-items-with-modifiers-using-api.html

Was wondering if this support was implemented and if so, how to get it working? The following request still does not create modifiers:

curl --request POST \
  --url 'https://sandbox.dev.clover.com/v3/merchants/BUSINESSID/orders/K4435MYFBXCME/bulk_line_items?access_token=accesstoken' \
  --header 'content-type: application/json' \
  --data '{"items":[{"id":null,"item":{"id":"SZFDKVSGWG0CC"},"name":"Vanila Cream Pufffs","price":1000,"taxRates":{"elements":[{"rate":500000,"name":"Business Tax","id":"6QHM2895C0350"}]},"modifications":[{"amount":50,"modifier":{"id":"0PM87MR2K27SY","name":null,"price":0},"quantitySold":0}],"note":null}]}'

Would be very beneficial if this was in place, since all these calls count towards Clover's API Rate Limits and can impact/slow down subsequent clover api flows.

Thank You

OrdersLineItemsModifiers
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
David Marginian avatar image
David Marginian Deactivated answered David Marginian Deactivated commented

Unfortunately, it is still not possible. I found a few internal issues on the subject and made some comments to see if we can get this revived and possibly take another look.

4 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jms avatar image jms commented ·

The problem is we have an order ahead application. When the no. of modifiers selected for a line item exceeds around 14 (along with the order creation and bulk line item adding calls), this adds up to >16 requests at times. If we have two lineItems in the order with similar modifiers, then we have to execute 2x14 calls just to add lineItemModifiers for the order. A total of >30 API calls just for one order.

Throttling the order placing flows cause the other orders placed at the same time to also take a hit since now they all have to be waiting for the previous requests to complete and/or wait out a retry-period if a previous order gives a 429.

The problem is the fact that the no. of modifiers can easily dominate the order placing call and severely limit our order processing throughput. What solution would you recommend?

0 Likes 0 ·
David Marginian avatar image David Marginian ♦♦ jms commented ·

I understand the problem and I agree with you that is seems the lineitems bulk endpoint should support modifications. That being said, this isn't my area of expertise and I don't understand the challenges involved. I have made a case for this issue to be revisited and I will add your comments to that issue.

1 Like 1 ·
captainben avatar image captainben David Marginian ♦♦ commented ·

i'm not understanding the development team not prioritizing this issue, is there a reason, i too am anticipating this to lead to issues with time outs and data integrity

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community