question

smartpaysupport avatar image
smartpaysupport asked Jeffrey Blattman commented

Fully Integrated Gift Card Options

Can someone provide an overview of options for gift cards when developing a fully integrated POS on Clover? We would like to support both closed loop and open loop options.

Payments
3 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

smartpaysupport avatar image smartpaysupport commented ·

Circling back to see if anyone has any feedback on this?

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeffrey Blattman avatar image Jeffrey Blattman ♦♦ commented ·

By fully integrated do you mean you will be an app that runs on a Clover device? Sorry I don't know what you mean by closed and open loop. Do you mean cards that work only on Clover, vs. a card that can work against any retailer regardless of their POS?

0 Likes 0 ·

Yes fully integrated meaning an app that runs on a Clover device.

On the gift card question I would like to: a) use Clover Gift Cards, b) use Custom Gift Cards, and c) 3rd Party Gift cards such as ValueLink for instance.

Thanks for your assistance.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Jeffrey Blattman avatar image
Jeffrey Blattman answered Jeffrey Blattman commented
On the gift card question I would like to: a) use Clover Gift Cards, b) use Custom Gift Cards, and c) 3rd Party Gift cards such as ValueLink for instance.

Not sure that's how it'd work for you. Clover accepts Gift Cards, but the specifics of how a payment is tendered is not typically something an app is concerned with. Your app just asks Clover to accept a payment, and you get a success or fail response back. That's a Good Thing as it means you need not be concerned with the many complexities of various tender types.

4 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

ok- that makes sense. So is it fair to say (please correct any misunderstanding)

1. Any gift card app that is currently supported on the Clover App store (including "Clover Gift Cards") needs to be installed.

2. Any third party gift card that isn't supported currently (such as ValueLink) needs to be developed and added to the Clover App store and needs to be installed.

**In both of these instances "our app just asks Clover to accept a payment" and then we get a success or fail, correct?

***If you have multiple gift card apps installed do you need to simply specify in tender type GiftCard Company A & Gift Card Company B?

Final clarifying question is how do we support the Custom Gift Cards? Do we need to build a new Clover app to support the Custom Gift Cards? I see the following post referencing the need to register BIN ranges but I don't find any instructions on how to allow the 'support' of Custom Gift Cards

https://community.clover.com/questions/2158/magnetic-gift-card-transaction.html

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeffrey Blattman avatar image Jeffrey Blattman ♦♦ smartpaysupport commented ·

1. & 2. I don't have information when the Clover Gift Cards app is installed by default. I wouldn't make any assumptions that it isn't. All third-party apps must be installed from the app market by the merchant.

2. Clover does support ValueLink gift cards.

**In both of these instances "our app just asks Clover to accept a payment" and then we get a success or fail, correct?

Yes.

***If you have multiple gift card apps installed do you need to simply specify in tender type GiftCard Company A & Gift Card Company B?

The merchant chooses.

If you plan to add support for a different gift card, loyalty system please contact appmarketbusiness@clover.com first.

0 Likes 0 ·
cloveruser808 avatar image cloveruser808 Jeffrey Blattman ♦♦ commented ·

> If you plan to add support for a different gift card, loyalty system please contact appmarketbusiness@clover.com first.

Hi. May I ask, why would one need to contact Clover prior to beginning development on a gift card or loyalty system? Or was this more of a generic response to let the OP know that they need to submit an app for review, as any other app?

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community