question

mahlerfive avatar image
mahlerfive asked ·

API tokens no longer work in sandbox - giving 401

All of a sudden my sandbox API tokens stopped working this morning. They were working just hours ago.

I tried regenerating a new token by going through the OAuth flow again and hitting the oauth/token endpoint to get a new one. It returned an API token but none of my calls work with it - they all return 401 Unauthorized. I tried this several times with no success.

I also triple checked the merchant ID to make sure I wasn't requesting data for the wrong merchant.

I did notice that this morning the clover API docs changed. I'm wondering if this is some breaking change that rolled out this morning? Is there anything else I can try?
SandboxAPI Token
6 comments
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

(The docs changing would have no effect on anyone's API tokens)

0 Likes 0 · ·

No, I wouldn't think the docs themselves would, but I figured maybe there was an actual API update that might have rolled out at the same time.

0 Likes 0 · ·

Hi @MahlerFive

Can you provide the specific call that's giving you the 401?

0 Likes 0 · ·

This fails with 401 when I attempt them myself:

https://apisandbox.dev.clover.com/v3/merchants/4NA1S2T4K3ERR/customers?access_token=[token]&limit=5&offset=0

Other calls fail as well from my app which were automated, such as the customers.csv endpoint.

0 Likes 0 · ·

Our records indicate that you've changed your permissions as recently as today. Are you still seeing the 401 error?

0 Likes 0 · ·
Show more comments
chanel avatar image
chanel answered ·

Taking another look at your query, the merchant ID that you're using is actually your app ID. You'll want to make sure you're using the merchant's ID instead.

1 comment Share

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Yes I feel stupid now - that was the problem.

0 Likes 0 · ·
zgreathouse avatar image
zgreathouse answered ·
Try uninstalling and reinstalling the application on your test merchant. Please let me know if a fetched token after reinstallation still doesn't work.
2 comments Share

I already tried reinstalling the app on the test merchant which I wrote in the original post. Still didn't work after getting a new token.

0 Likes 0 · ·

Just tried reinstalling again and same problem - can get a new api token, can see it has the proper permissions, but get back 401s on my get requests.

0 Likes 0 · ·

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community