question

sean-dev avatar image
sean-dev asked sean-dev edited

'Clear USB keyboard defaults' option not appearing in Settings

I have a QR Scanner/Camera hooked up to a Clover Station. It's emulating as a Keyboard. We would like to toggle this. I suspect the Merchant hit the "Don't ask again" prompt and now the prompt doesn't appear as expected when you plug in/out the device.

I'm following the instructions found here: https://docs.clover.com/docs/external-usb-devices# so that the prompt appears again.

Specifically this bit:

"When a USB HID device is connected to a Clover device, users are asked if the device is a keyboard. If Yes, the platform's soft keyboard is disabled while this device is connected. This preference is reset at reboot unless the don't ask again option is selected. The don't ask again preference can be cleared from Settings > Language and Input > Clear USB keyboard defaults."

However I don't see a 'Clear USB keyboard defaults' option on the Station when accessing 'Language and Input' from the 'Settings'.

clover.jpg

Is there an alternative way to reset the prompt or is this a bug or am I misunderstanding something?

Clover Station
clover.jpg (478.3 KiB)
2 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

keerthanaa7 avatar image keerthanaa7 commented ·
Could you tell us which device (Exact device name )is in use.
0 Likes 0 ·
sean-dev avatar image sean-dev keerthanaa7 commented ·

Hi @keerthanaa7 -- The exact model is a Station Duo.

0 Likes 0 ·
keerthanaa7 avatar image
keerthanaa7 answered sean-dev edited

The design on Station1 is different from rest of the devices. On your current device, when you connect an external USB device, a notification appears that lets that configure the physical keyboard.

Settings -> System -> Languages & Input -> physical keyboard -> Show virtual keyboard. You could toggle this option to enable/disable virtual keyboard.

4 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

sean-dev avatar image sean-dev commented ·

Part of the problem is that prompt doesn't appear when plugging in the scanner. It is suppose to emulate a keyboard (we get a beep on a scan) but the scan doesn't fetch/identify customers when in a loyalty/gift app from the Clover Market Place but this exact feature works on other Clover machines with the same app leading us to believe it's a specific machine configuration/settings issue but we can't rule out a bug or complicated race condition.

0 Likes 0 ·
keerthanaa7 avatar image keerthanaa7 sean-dev commented ·
When you connect the scanner, we will not get the same prompt as you have attached the image. Could you please verify if you could see the notification as i have mentioned. I am assuming we need a way to toggle between physical and virtual keyboard. The mechanism is just slightly different on this device.
0 Likes 0 ·
keerthanaa7 avatar image keerthanaa7 keerthanaa7 commented ·
Could you tell us the name of the exact app that you are using and the name of clover devices on which this works correctly.
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
sean-dev avatar image
sean-dev answered sean-dev edited

Final Resolution: We still have no idea why the keyboard prompt was not appearing on this specific Clover device however we swapped the Numa Tech DT-50 out for a Numa Tech DT-60N scanner and now it all works properly again. The issue seemed to be regarding keyboard emulation and the textfield not auto-focussing with DT-50s. The prompt did not appear for the DT-60N either. Neither of these scanners are white listed by Clover.

According to our Android Dev the reason this is happening is that "Clover is expecting a descriptor string from the device 'HID Interface' which on this specific device is empty". This means Clover is using a different mechanism to detect keyboards than the Android OS. He says while not a Clover bug it is a rare edge case that wasn't accounted for that could be handled more gracefully.

Thank you for your help and comments @keerthanaa7

10 |2000

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community