question

Corey avatar image
Corey asked Corey commented

Awful developer support

I'm sorry to put this here but I'm getting very frustrated. I reach out to your developer relations department via email and my experience is awful most of the time. I send the email and then I wait 3 days for a non-responsive answer. I asked for something simple, all I ask for is a flag on the Web API to let me know when an order has been fired from Clover Dining. Instead of implementing this feature I'm always given a canned solution That's not related to the issue that I'm experiencing. Most recently I've been told to use web hooks to get the fire status from an order. Unless there has been an update that I don't know about Web hooks don't have a flag for letting the user know when the order has been fired. I'm running into an issue with orders appearing on my app before it is fired because there is no way for me to know what orders have and have not been fired on the web API. What makes it even more frustrating is that the answer is always a broad and generic answer.

Please explain to what this response has to do with firing an order from the clover for dining app?

Thank you for providing the information. Webhooks get fired when there are any changes to the order. So I will suggest having checks on your end to see if the order is already showing in the display or not. Another work around would be to check if the order is fully paid and only then add it to the display.

My app is say KDS application, The hallmarks of a KDS application is speed and accuracy. Currently I have some merchants that lose about $5 ,000 to $10,000 weekly due to errors. The fire function is very vital to the KDS because it prevents orders from being sent to the printer and to the API before the order has been completely taken. This is to prevent errors from waitresses or customers changing their mind. If a waitress is ringing up an order for a customer and then the customer changes their mind about some of the items on the order it will cause waste because the order has been sent via the Clover dining app to the API already and the cook has already started making it or prepping for it. I brought this issue to the attention of your developer relations department in 2017 and now we're in 2023 and I'm still having to deal with it. I have a programmer who was willing to fix the issue but there's nothing that he can do because it's something that you guys have to implement.

I need a manager from the developer relations department to call me as soon as possible because this is an important issue. Please call me at +1(954) 416-3352.

And I don't mean to come across as unpleasant but it's ridiculous that I'd wait two to three days only to be given none answers. Arco should be the same we should want happy merchants that are not complaining. The inaction on your part makes me and my team look either like we're incompetent or that we don't want to satisfy the merchant's needs. I need someone to contact me as soon as possible, if I don't receive any communication today then I know where our business relationship stands and I will start considering what further action I'll be taking. This is not a threat but I'm beginning to feel like I've exhausted all of my efforts to maintain a fruitful and happy business relationship with your company.

OrdersREST API
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
parquet76 avatar image
parquet76 answered Corey commented

Per developer supports response, can't your kds only pull orders that have been paid for? Based on your lengthy description that seems to fit your requirements.

9 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Corey avatar image Corey commented ·

@parquet It doesn't meet the description.

1. My app already utilizes the order statuses. Open and Paid (Closed). I think the major issue here is that many of the developers don't work in the food industry so they have no idea how the user utilizes the POS or third-party apps. Your response is a very good example, you don't know how the statuses are being leveraged. I'm going to paste my support request in the comments and tag you so that you can have a better idea as it is more detailed.

We used to order statuses to filter what the merchant sees on the KDS. For example if you are a quick service restaurant like McDonald's or Burger King you will choose to only want to see paid orders. But if you're a full-service restaurant you would want to see open orders or both open and paid orders. So using order statuses would not help because Cobra Dining doesn't use the statuses for firing off orders.

And what does it make sense is the feature that I'm asking for already exist on the Android SDK. Android kitchen display applications I have a way to receive orders when they are fired only. I'm simply asking for this feature to be added to the web API. I don't know what's so hard about it. I just need a flag to accompany the order so I'll know how to handle it. I've attached a screenshot to better explain. We already left Rich the statuses. The problem that I have is when The cashier is ringing up the order on the Clover dining at it doesn't hold it until the user fires it. It shows up immediately because there is no way for me to differentiate an order coming from the Register app or the Clover dining app. I just need a way to know where the order is coming from. Don't get me wrong, I am very open-minded to a workable solution. My issue is that this problem is an urgent problem and so far we're on day number six with no solution.

screenshot-2023-06-30-02-15-56-807-comandroidchrom.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
Corey avatar image Corey Corey commented ·

I’ve enclosed a video. The issue that I present is a merchant wide issue. When merchants use the Clover Dining App there is no integration for the fire function on the web api.

I have also cc’d Ms. Jan, she is the sales person that is helping the merchant, I would like her to be involved because she is very hands on with the merchant.

Problem: Orders from Clover Dining are being sent to the Orders Api without the FIRE Button being pressed.

Clover Dining Fire Function does not work on web API.

Expected: when user is using the Clover dining app users don't want order data sent to the web API until the fire button has been activated by Clover Dining end user

What's happening: when clover dining end users add items to the table and customer seats the information is automatically sent to the web API.

Why is this a problem?: This is a problem for the merchants because as order items are being selected they are being sent to the API in real time. This is a problem because if an order item is removed or changed end users using the Order Display KDS won't see the changes right away. This issue can cause merchants thousands of dollars in losses.

How to Replicate:

1. Install Order Display App in the Clover App Market. (The basic plan is good enough)

2. Open Order Display on a second device to have a clear view. (App Url is copy and paste)

3. Open the Clover Dining App.

4. Select a table

5. Add items to the table.

6. Observe the Order Display Screen. (You will see that order is showing on the screen without the fire button being pressed.)

Very Respectfully,

Corey H.

video showing issue.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xeKLXRCy7uvXkA_bTj6gJwNIj5z7w0Su/view?usp=drivesdk

0 Likes 0 ·

I pasted my support email here with a video showing the issue.

---------

I’ve enclosed a video. The issue that I present is a merchant wide issue. When merchants use the Clover Dining App there is no integration for the fire function on the web api.

I have also cc’d Ms. Jan, she is the sales person that is helping the merchant, I would like her to be involved because she is very hands on with the merchant.

Problem: Orders from Clover Dining are being sent to the Orders Api without the FIRE Button being pressed.

Clover Dining Fire Function does not work on web API.

Expected: when user is using the Clover dining app users don't want order data sent to the web API until the fire button has been activated by Clover Dining end user

What's happening: when clover dining end users add items to the table and customer seats the information is automatically sent to the web API.

Why is this a problem?: This is a problem for the merchants because as order items are being selected they are being sent to the API in real time. This is a problem because if an order item is removed or changed end users using the Order Display KDS won't see the changes right away. This issue can cause merchants thousands of dollars in losses.

How to Replicate:

1. Install Order Display App in the Clover App Market. (The basic plan is good enough)

2. Open Order Display on a second device to have a clear view. (App Url is copy and paste)

3. Open the Clover Dining App.

4. Select a table

5. Add items to the table.

6. Observe the Order Display Screen. (You will see that order is showing on the screen without the fire button being pressed.)

Very Respectfully,

Corey H.

video showing issue.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xeKLXRCy7uvXkA_bTj6gJwNIj5z7w0Su/view?usp=drivesdk

0 Likes 0 ·

I was thinking that they could just create a flag that gives the fired status.

The flag can be used like this:

fired: true/false

When the user uses the register app fired is always true. When the user uses the Clover dining app fired is false until user hits the fire button on the Clover Dining App.

Order Display KDS can then use this flag to not sure orders until fired is true.

0 Likes 0 ·
parquet76 avatar image parquet76 Corey commented ·

I get it, full service restaurants need to start preparing the order prior to payment. That's all you had to say.

Line item has a printed flag that MAY work, I would try using that. You will of course have to retrieve the line items (which I assume you already are doing already) and iterate through them but it seems do-able (e.g. if all items on an order have printed, show the order).

0 Likes 0 ·
Corey avatar image Corey parquet76 commented ·
@ Parquet76 Thanks for you help. I had a question about using the print flag, does it require the user to have printers or does it function the same regardless of if users use the Clover Dining or Register App?
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community