question

cycofan avatar image
cycofan asked Richelle Herrli edited

Can a modifier have a negative price?

Can a modifier have a negative price? We have items that have a base price, which we discount for specific requests. I can create modifiers for these specific scenarios but cannot have a negative price. I realize I can add discounts, but discounts do not show up on the order receipts. These specific requests need to be on the order receipt.

Modifiers
2 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Richelle Herrli avatar image Richelle Herrli ♦♦ commented ·
May I have a specific example of an item that would get "modified" with a discount? The workaround I can think of off the top of my head is to create an item with the modifiers listed and then build an app to add discounts to the order based on those modifiers.

Otherwise, you could start the base item at a lower price, have one modifier be "original" or "unchanged" and list the total price there, while modifiers add less (or nothing) to the inventory item's price.
0 Likes 0 ·
cycofan avatar image cycofan Richelle Herrli ♦♦ commented ·
Let's say we have sandwiches that we sell. We have a variety of breads that the customer can pick from. On our menu, we list the all up price for a sandwich, let's say that is $7.50. If the customer does not want the sandwich on bread, but would like no bread, then we subtract $0.80. We don't list the sandwich on the menu as $6.70 with bread being an extra $0.80. Now, I understand that a discount could be applied, but the discounts are not printed on the order receipt to let the kitchen know not to put it on bread.
0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Richelle Herrli avatar image
Richelle Herrli answered Richelle Herrli edited

Modifiers follow an additive model to help avoid allowing inventory items to have a negative price. We instead encourage merchants to start with a base price for their inventory items and then use modifiers to add to the price (or not).

The best solution in your scenario would likely be to not attach prices to the modifiers and instead add discounts that couple with those modifiers. If you're building a 3rd party app to handle your merchant's flow, you can couple the two behind the scenes whenever someone selects the discounted modifiers through your app.

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community