question

brokenoval avatar image
brokenoval asked Lee Tickett commented

Device locale is fixed to US

There was a previous question that was closed as off topic that I wanted to re-iterate: https://community.clover.com/questions/16094/incorrect-locale-on-eu-devices.html

We recently had a customer contact us because they recieved a new device. The new (mini) device is displaying all currencies in USD$ rather than EUR€, but their other device (older station from 2018) is displaying € correctly. Both are on the same MID with identical settings.

After looking into this further it seems that there has been a recent change in the Clover production process around language selection (Settings->Personal->Language and Inputs). Where previously you could chose your locale e.g. English (UK) or English (US), on the new devices you can only select "English". This default option sets the device locale to en_US and this cannot be changed by the user (or by the Clover support channels e.g. AIBMS). So all new devices are locked to the US if we use the standard java.util.Locale: `Locale.getDefault()` as recommended in the Clover docs ( like this one)

It is possible for us to go back an rewrite every instance of the Locale function to instead use the Merchant settings, but if this is indeed a production change I think it would be worth highlighting to the production team as it could have some pretty serious un-intended effects to any non-US merchant e.g. the way tax is handled, languages, timezones, currencies etc.

I have already spoken to First Data UK and it doesn't look like there is anything that can be done either by their support team or on our end. I suspect the only way to fix this would be to flash the merchant devices. Is there anything Clover can do to remedy this issue for individual merchants remotely?
Merchant
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Raymond Lee avatar image
Raymond Lee Deactivated answered Lee Tickett commented
The locale of a merchant cannot be changed by the merchant, and they will have to contact Clover Customer Support to resolve this. They can resolve it remotely by changing the merchant's locale. See here for the help doc on this.

The language selection for UK you mentioned still shows up on the new Mini 2nd gen, but it won't affect how currency displayed, that is determined by the locale. Just for reference it is Settings -> System -> Languages & Input -> Languages -> Add a language -> English -> United Kingdom.
1 comment
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Lee Tickett avatar image Lee Tickett commented ·

How frustrating, we gave up and made changes to our app! @brokenOval let me know if you are able to test the fix Raymond suggests- I would love to know if it works and AIBMS / First Data could have given us that information when we raised the issue last month!

0 Likes 0 ·

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community