question

mjc102 avatar image
mjc102 asked David Marginian Deactivated commented

Can I hide the "Sales Tax" subtotal from a receipt?

The items we are adding to an order are inclusive of their sales tax. Can I customize the receipt to hide the "Sales Tax" line item so as not to confuse the customer?
PaymentsClover Mini
3 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

zgreathouse avatar image zgreathouse commented ·

Can you please clarify what you mean by "The items we are adding to an order are inclusive of their sales tax."

This is already the way in which our architecture is set up. The subtotal and tax fields on the receipt are calculated. The subtotal being the order's total price without tax, and the tax field being the order's total tax amount (the sum of each line item's taxAmount).

Here are the docs explaining those calculations: https://docs.clover.com/build/working-with-orders/#calculating-order-totals

Additionally, here are our docs on how to properly add taxes within our architecture: https://www.clover.com/us/en/help/set-up-taxes/

0 Likes 0 ·
mjc102 avatar image mjc102 zgreathouse commented ·

Yes, the price we are using is the base product price + the sales tax for the item. We don't want to display the tax field on the receipt so we don't confuse the customer.

0 Likes 0 ·
brokenoval avatar image brokenoval commented ·

Bear in mind this operates differently in different regions, while the EU is VAT inclusive, the US is VAT (Sales Tax) exclusive and the calculations are done differently as appropriate.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

Jeffrey Blattman avatar image
Jeffrey Blattman answered David Marginian Deactivated commented
You can completely remove tax from an order, using Order.setTaxRemoved() and OrderConnector.updateOrder(<the order>) subsequently. No line items on the order will be taxed.

Note that if the merchant depends on reporting to understand their taxes you will have broken that.
6 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

mjc102 avatar image mjc102 commented ·
Will using ORder.setTaxRemoved() hide the Sales Tax from the receipt?
0 Likes 0 ·
mjc102 avatar image mjc102 mjc102 commented ·

To clarify, I mean to hide the sales tax line item completely.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeffrey Blattman avatar image Jeffrey Blattman ♦♦ mjc102 commented ·

In my test it did.

0 Likes 0 ·
mjc102 avatar image mjc102 Jeffrey Blattman ♦♦ commented ·

Excellent – thank you for the help!

0 Likes 0 ·
pharmasee avatar image pharmasee mjc102 commented ·

Can you advise how this is done

0 Likes 0 ·
David Marginian avatar image David Marginian ♦♦ pharmasee commented ·

I believe Jeffrey describes that in his answer above.

0 Likes 0 ·

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community