question

gerardo avatar image
gerardo asked ihor commented

how to proactively detect if a merchant's account is not enabled for accepting tips via credit card.

When trying to process a payment that includes a tip via the v2 pay endpoint, I'm getting this error for one of our merchants:

"message":"Merchant account not enabled for tipping; please contact support"

The tipsEnabled property in the merchants endpoint is true, so that's not really telling me anything. How can I proactively detect if a merchant's account is not enabled for accepting tips via credit card?

Thanks,

Gerardo

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Mike M avatar image
Mike M answered ihor commented

Check out the {baseUrl}/v3/merchants/{mId}/properties API for merchant properties, specifically tipsEnabled

[UPDATE] The issue apparently is with the payment gateway itself, which is a different type of tipping (tip is applied after the payment gets authed). This seems to be specifically for v2 web API Payments. By expanding the gateway on GetMerchants, you will find a property supportsTipping which should correlate directly to the gateway tipping settings.

{baseUrl}/v3/merchants/{mId}?expand=gateway or {baseUrl}/v3/merchants/{mId}/gateway

6 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

gerardo avatar image gerardo commented ·

Mike - Thanks for responding, but as you can see in my original question, I did check that and the value was true. You may want to sync with Kailey who is also looking as to why this merchant has this off in the first place.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mike M avatar image Mike M commented ·

Ah, completely my mistake. In looking through the code, the only occurrence of that error message that I can find is when the merchant's payment gateway is a specific gateway type. Is this a live production merchant that you are receiving this error for or a test merchant?

0 Likes 0 ·

It's a live merchant. I can provide you the merchant details, if you let me know how to privately message you.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mike M avatar image Mike M commented ·

Regarding private merchant details, please email us at dev [at] clover [dot] com

0 Likes 0 ·

Mike - We already sent this information to dev [at] clover [dot] com 2 days ago and have not heard back. I'll forward the message to dev again and reference you.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community