question

weisert avatar image
weisert asked Justin Cherniak answered

Is there a client-side tokenization library similar to Accept/Stripe.js?

My client has requested that I research using Clover as a means to single-source payment through his eCommerce store. I found that your Developer Pay API might be able to accomplish this, but encrypting the credit card details on my server isn't very appealing.

While I could probably acquire the token by writing a Javascript library, I'm hesitant to spend time building this myself.

Is there a Javascript library similar to Authorize.net's Accept.js that can handle tokenization client-side before the credit card data is passed to the app server? Or, is this not a widely supported use case for Clover?

Note that this isn't a semi-integration, my client wishes to single-source all payment, including online orders, through Clover, the latter not going through the Clover device.
Developer Pay API
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Raymond Lee avatar image
Raymond Lee Deactivated answered
Hi @weisert,

Unfortunately, we currently do not have a client-sided tokenization library similar to Accept.js or Stripe.js.

Right now there are two things that complicates having one:
1. We do not provide a separate public api token whose only purpose is to be used for card tokenization.
2. For tokenization we require at least one successful transaction be performed first.

As you noted, this is currently not a very common use case for Clover, although that may change in the future depending on demand.

-Raymond
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Justin Cherniak avatar image
Justin Cherniak answered
It comes with a cost associated with it, but we've successfully integrated the Developer Pay API using Spreedly as a 3rd party intermediary to handle the PCI tokenization and card number delivery. Note, that even if you write JS code to encrypt as they request, you will still likely open yourself up to extra PCI compliance scope, so beware of that That was the main reason we chose to go with Spreedly.

Note that you cannot use their standard payments integration, but you can however use their "Payment Method Delivery". Getting this to work is a bit of a bear, but I'm happy to publish my code on Github if you would find it helpful.
10 |2000

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community