question

Carl avatar image
Carl asked Carl commented

How Can We Get The Log File From A Merchant's Clover For Troubleshooting?

We have a Merchant who downloaded our App but once they clicked "Open", an error popped up "Unfortunately, has stopped". We have try /catch statements that log exceptions but no way to view these logs.

It would be nice if there were a way to access this information so we can resolve the Merchant's issue.

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Mike M avatar image
Mike M answered

This is something we are looking into. However for now, as with most app ecosystems, it always is recommended to have some sort of app analytics for measuring both user interaction and recording any exceptions.

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jeffrey Blattman avatar image
Jeffrey Blattman answered Carl commented

A crash, bug report service is something we are considering, but at this point we do not have one available. There are many 3rd parties that offer such services. Bugsense is one commercial option. Another is ACRA, which can be implemented using the back end of your choice, and free of charge.

4 comments
10 |2000

Carl avatar image Carl commented ·

We unpublished our latest apk and republished an apk from 11/2015 to try and isolate the error. Our Merchant still gets the "Unfortunately, has stopped" as soon as they click "Open" for our App in the App Market. Did something change in the App Market that we are unaware of? The App Market is the only element we remove when debugging our App locally (with no errors).

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeffrey Blattman avatar image Jeffrey Blattman ♦♦ commented ·

If you tell me the merchant name, and approximate time of crash I may be able to get some information.

0 Likes 0 ·
Carl avatar image Carl commented ·

Hi Jeff,

The Merchant is "FIRST DATA IS-NY". There was an attempt on 04/05/2016 at 12:24PM PST (yesterday) and another attempt today about 2:00PM PST. We can have them test again to get a more accurate time stamp to narrow your 50k window. Let me know if you need more info, I didn't know if I should post the MID.

0 Likes 0 ·
voski avatar image voski commented ·

What is your apps package name?

0 Likes 0 ·
Carl avatar image
Carl answered Mike M commented

We can't reproduce the problem. It only happens with certain merchants (with newer Clover devices I think). We do have a partner at First Data who can reproduce the error, I will ask them to install the ACRA App.

Our App is logging all exceptions, we just have no way of retrieving this information from the merchant. I read that Clover is able to pull logs.

The popup error that the merchant gets leads us to believe this is happening outside of our App: "Unfortunately, has stopped". Usually, this error would contain the App name (i.e. "Unfortunately, CyberCoupons Rewards has stopped").

2 comments
10 |2000

Mike M avatar image Mike M commented ·

I would recommend adding a crash monitoring system into your app.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeffrey Blattman avatar image Jeffrey Blattman ♦♦ commented ·

ACRA isn't an app, it's an SDK to use in your app to capture crashes. We can pull logs, but since logcat is a ringbuffer we can only capture a ~50k window of logs which can scroll pretty quickly on a device that's in use. You'd have to coordinate with the merchant, and Clover, to reproduce the crash and capture the logs.

0 Likes 0 ·
dilesh avatar image
dilesh answered

Hi Jeff,

I see your comment that "This is something we are looking into" to get the log file. This is a very old reply, so can you please confirm if we have this feature now?

Thanks, Dilesh

10 |2000

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community