question

skodama avatar image
skodama asked pst answered

Enabling TIP Modification after the Payment is processed

Hello,

I'm trying to enable Tip modification at my dev merchant in my sandbox account, but the option is not shown at the Payments page of the merchant.

I'm following the instructions at I cannot add tips to my order / transaction, but neither the "Ask for Tip" checkbox nor the error message shows up there.

My dev merchant is really old, so I even created a new dev merchant account but nothing changed.

9 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

rachel avatar image rachel commented ·

When you say, "shows up there," do you mean that nothing happens when you go to Setup app > Tips > Ask for tip?

0 Likes 0 ·
skodama avatar image skodama commented ·

Hi rachel,

No, the document says to go to Setup App->Payments section, and there is no "Ask for Tips" check box there. Is the document wrong?

0 Likes 0 ·

@skodama -- We're in the process of updating our merchant-facing help. Did going to Setup > Tips resolve the issue?

0 Likes 0 ·
skodama avatar image skodama commented ·

I'm sorry, I might not have been specific about what I really wanted.

Tip is currently being asked at the moment of the payment, but I was trying to test the Tips app and see if we could add tips after a credit payment is done.

I don't see any payments listed at the Tips app right now, and I can't add/modify tips. (The payments are not batched out, and I checked the permissions to use the Tips app)

Can we test the Tips app in a sandbox dev merchant account?

0 Likes 0 ·

The merchant has to be configured to accept tips on printed receipts: Setup > Tips > Tip entry location. (When tips are taken on screen, they are added to the total before payment is made.) Changing where tips are taken does not affect earlier transactions; only payments made after the change will show up in Tips app.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
skodama avatar image
skodama answered

With the help of rachel, we found out the following:

1. The document of the link is outdated and the user should actually go to Setup->Tips
  2. To enable tip modification for the payments completed, you should go to Setup->Tips on the device and change "Tip entry location" to "On printed receipt"
  3. The new settings only apply to the payments made after the settings were changed
  4. The tip modification does not work for Chip&PIN EMV cards, thus you can't add tip for payments made with those cards if the "Tip entry location" is set to "On printed receipt"

NOTE: I used the Clover Sale app and Tips app for the test

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

pst avatar image
pst answered
clarification of item 4 of @skodama 's reply who received help from @rachel . We have been doing tip adjustments on all of our chip transactions. During the chip transaction, if the device asks for a PIN, you choose the SKIP option. I believe that appears to be the key to allowing tip adjustments on chip transactions.
However, it seems the Tips app on the Clover is very unstable and will randomly hang upon submitting the tip adjustment (submit the Tip adjustment and the App just throws up a Spinner icon to indicate it's working on it but never finishs). This has been devastating to our operations. Clover support seems to confirm this is an ongoing issue but the only advise they give is to reboot the machine and/or clear data in the Settings app (which our users typically do not have access to, nor time to do). I'm desperately seeking any additional advice or experience anyone else might have with this. It appears the only way that tips can be adjusted is either directly through the transactions screen or via a call to the Tips app on the device (both of which are the cause of the hanging issue). Hoping to find an alternative. Can I call for a Tip adjustment through Dev Pay? I'd be willing to write my own implementation for this if it were an option.hoping someone sees this reply to an older thread from 2017. Thanks you
10 |2000

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community