question

ottorosario avatar image
ottorosario asked rbokajr commented

I have a web application for online ordering. What I want to know is if I can send an order string to the customer clover's printer to print it?

Once the user make the order, my system can sent the order to the customer clover system innorder to print the order. Or also, the clover system can retreive my web server in order to find a new order and print it? Please, let menknow if that is posible. I have some restaurants with clover and I want to integrate my system on it.

Thanks

Otto

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

rbokajr avatar image
rbokajr answered rbokajr commented

Hi Otto,

In my experience this hasn't been available via the REST API. I believe it is available through the native SDK. What I did to circumvent this for my own applications is to pull the items from the Clover API, link it to a local database (on my customer's websites) with more information like food photos, pricing, descriptions, etc. When an order comes in, I just keep track of it separately (in the local database, including order details, payment details via Stripe, etc.) and I'm actually running a raspberry pi in the store that talks to the kitchen printer to submit the order. It's running a python cron job that just queries my "Orders" API and prints out any orders that are flagged as "not printed." I have a companion app that they can run on a phone or tablet to pull up orders and reprint them (through the raspberry pi), as well as disable / enable items on the website.

It's pretty convoluted, but it works for us. Until I decide to just jump into the native side of things, that's what I had to do.

I'm sure others will have better suggestions.

3 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jeffrey Blattman avatar image Jeffrey Blattman ♦♦ commented ·

Writing a Clover Android app to handle the printing would be much simpler than deploying hardware to the merchant's location ... the correct way to do this is to have a simple app running on the Clover device that can receive notifications. It can then act on those to print, talking to your server first if necessary.

0 Likes 0 ·
rbokajr avatar image rbokajr commented ·

Doh, that's actually a really good idea. Honestly, this was for my own purposes so they're not really "clients" to me, they're my businesses and I happened to have some raspberry pi's sitting around that I wanted to do something with. The intention was to utilize the hardware for several other restaurant functions, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Would Clover accept an app that existed just for that though... just to something that listens for orders and prints it?

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeffrey Blattman avatar image Jeffrey Blattman ♦♦ commented ·

Sounds reasonable to me. All apps must confirm to our TOU but I haven't heard anything questionable here.

0 Likes 0 ·

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community