question

sanjay avatar image
sanjay asked sanjay commented

Clover Flex - Android App - Certification/Regulatory Questions

I am looking to create an Android app to run on Clover Flex. This will connect to a web server to look up orders and take payments for these orders. Couple of questions on this scenario:

1. This is possible, yes? For a custom app to connect via REST APIs to servers for orders and take payments.

2. The app needs to be approved by Clover, correct?

3. Are there any external certification requirements for the app to meet? I understand that the Clover devices are PCI certified. Does this automatically pass through to custom apps?

I am new to integrating Clover and and evaluating Clover Flex vs. Square terminal. Have a preference for Clover Flex, but want to understand regulatory implications. Thanks!

Clover Android SDKClover Flex
4 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jeffrey Blattman avatar image Jeffrey Blattman ♦♦ commented ·
Take payments... how? Using Clover APIs?
0 Likes 0 ·
sanjay avatar image sanjay Jeffrey Blattman ♦♦ commented ·

Yes, our app would use PaymentRequestIntentBuilder (as described in https://docs.clover.com/docs/android-pay-payment) and pass a dollar amount to be paid. Once that's paid our app would keep track of the payment.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeffrey Blattman avatar image Jeffrey Blattman ♦♦ sanjay commented ·
Okay. There's an approval process for all apps, but you don't need any special certification for taking payments like that. The reason is that it's not your software taking the payments, it's ours. You are just invoking it.
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Lorraine LIng avatar image
Lorraine LIng answered sanjay commented

The answer to # 1 & 2 are yes. I developed a custom Android app for Clover Mini & Flex for our company that uses REST APIs to communicate with our own servers and take payments when a customer is ready to pay. We must get it approved by Clover for each release. It has been in production for over a year. Hope this helps.

1 comment
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

sanjay avatar image sanjay commented ·
Thanks for the clarification. Howe about #3? Did you have to do any external certification for PCI compliance, or just having Clover approve the app is sufficient?
0 Likes 0 ·
Lorraine LIng avatar image
Lorraine LIng answered sanjay commented

I'm not 100% certain about #3. I don't believe we needed any external certification, but another team member is the one who corresponded with Clover for releases and actually uploaded the app to the production.

3 comments
10 |2000

sanjay avatar image sanjay commented ·
Thanks. If possible, I would appreciate it if you could ping your colleague. I am awaiting someone from Clover to respond to this question, so hopefully we will know the official answer in this thread soon!
0 Likes 0 ·
Lorraine LIng avatar image Lorraine LIng sanjay commented ·
My colleague said that for our case certification was through Clover. Good with your project!
0 Likes 0 ·
sanjay avatar image sanjay Lorraine LIng commented ·
Awesome. Thanks for the follow up!
0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community