question

thoughtspacewebsites avatar image
thoughtspacewebsites asked kevinrosales commented

How to create / use multipay token from eCommerce iFrame WITHOUT using Clover customers

Hey Guys, our integration utilizes a semi integration with the secure network pay display app, and we also use the eCommerce API. We have both a web component and an in-store, card present component that are run respectively from those integrations. That said, we don't actually use any of the built in Clover data structures like customers, orders, etc, but rather just basic transactions / payments. That said, I recently tried to work in saved card tokens to my website, and I ran up against an issue. It looks like the tokens that are created by my iframe integration are single use, and based on what I read here:

https://docs.clover.com/docs/ecommerce-saving-card#

It looks like in order to generate a multipay token, you would normally hit the v1/customers endpoint to save this card to them, and this would return a multipay token that you would reuse in the future. The thing is, our app doesn't use the built in customers functionality from Clover because we just use a basic semi integration. Can you please let me know how I could go about creating a token that I can reuse for future transactions without having access to this endpoint?

ecommerce
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

thoughtspacewebsites answered

hey, just following up on this one, this is a use case we're trying to get built for our upcoming full launch in a few days, I really need to get this figured out. Please let me know if there's any more information I can supply here. Thanks.

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Is there anyone on the Clover team still monitoring this board? I have two open tickets now with no replies or movement, starting to get concerned that I'm not going to be able to get this wrapped up in time for our launch this weekend. Please let me know your thoughts here. Thanks.

10 |2000

kevinrosales avatar image
kevinrosales answered

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out.

Unfortunately, that endpoint, v1/customers, is the only method that can be used to create a multipay token.

And just for your information, when it comes to the actual saving of the card, the customer itself can remove the card on file by the email that gets sent over whenever a customer is created.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,
Kevin

10 |2000

We don't utilize Clover's built in customers endpoint, though, because we don't actually use customer functionality with Clover. We still need to be able to store card information and re-bill it in the future through our semi integration + eCommerce solution. Can you please inform me how I would go about doing this? We're already partially live with our integration and this is the final piece we need to wrap up, but we NEED to find a solution here for allowing for stored cards when we don't actually use Clover's customer functionality. If we have to use Clover's customer functionality, then I need to know how that should be set up with a semi integration (remote pay display) + eCommerce solution, as I could not find any relevant documentation for this anywhere on the Clover site. Regardless, saved cards in an eCommerce workflow is a must for us.

10 |2000

kevinrosales avatar image
kevinrosales answered kevinrosales commented

Hey,

The App would need the necessary app permissions in order to work with customers.

You can refer to this link of our docs that speaks on this.
https://docs.clover.com/docs/ecommerce-app-permissions#customer-endpoints

Once permissions have been changed and approved, you will need to uninstall the app within the merchant and then re-install the same app so that the changes can take place.

Now, from here you can use our Clover APIs that relate to Customer functionality without any issues.

And these are the APIs you would need to use for saving the card within your account.
https://docs.clover.com/reference/createcustomer
https://docs.clover.com/docs/ecommerce-saving-card

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Kevin

6 comments
10 |2000

thoughtspacewebsites avatar image thoughtspacewebsites commented ·
Right now, we only use the "payments plus" plan on our devices because that's all we've needed. If we were to begin using the eCommerce endpoints for saving customers, would we need to upgrade to the "register lite" plan in order to support customers? Or is that only needed if we wanted to use customers on the actual devices? Can we use the ecomm customers endpoints while we're only subscribed to the "payments plus" plan?
0 Likes 0 ·
kevinrosales avatar image kevinrosales thoughtspacewebsites commented ·

Hey,

Though our docs say that our merchant plan modules don't necessarily limit the use of our APIs.

More info can be found here: https://docs.clover.com/docs/understanding-modules

We would recommend making the move from Payments Plus to the Register Lite plan.

But so that you're aware, there is a fee associated with the Register Lite plan which is below:
$5.00 per month, $9.95 per month per device

So I would ultimately say to just test out the functionality with your current plan and then decide from there.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,
Kevin

0 Likes 0 ·
thoughtspacewebsites avatar image thoughtspacewebsites kevinrosales commented ·

Kevin,

You mentioned:

"We would recommend making the move from Payments Plus to the Register Lite plan"

But also mentioned that there shouldn't be any limitations present on the payment plus plan. Unfortunately, we are running 10 - 15 Clover devices at any given time, and upgrading all of them to Register Lite instead of payments plus would mean quite the additional monthly fee just to be able to store cards. Also, I've already run into an issue between your sandbox and production accounts regarding eComm refunds and permissions, and it's tough for me to trust now that just because something works in the sandbox, it's actually going to work in production as well.

Before we spend hours implementing a card saving workflow into our system, I need formal verification that we can use the customers ecommerce endpoints in production without needing to upgrade from the payments plus plan on our Clover devices. Can you please verify with 100% certainty that this would work and is an acceptable setup for your production environment?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community