question

nikkiblanco avatar image
nikkiblanco asked ethas answered

Connection to a VPN Hotspot

Client has a VPN hotspot on her phone. She wants to know if she connects her clover flex to her phones hotspot if the clover will be using the vpn. She travels a lot and wants to make sure the flex is secure.

PaymentConnector
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

tanaybh avatar image
tanaybh answered nikkiblanco commented

Clover devices can be connected to hotspot securely. Can you please clarify what do you mean by "if the clover will be using the vpn"?

1 comment
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

nikkiblanco avatar image nikkiblanco commented ·
it was just a question the client asked me, she used to use another wireless POS and she would connect it to a VPN, She travels a lot and wants all to be secure and coming from a VPN registered in the US. I am aware the clover will connect to the hotspot of her phone without any issues, I also know all transaction on the clover are encrypted, and I told my client that. I did ask her to contact AT&T as that is her phone carrier. I think she was wondering if we had a VPN app we could download on the Flex the answer to that I know that at least for now is NO.

Thank you for your reply.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeffrey Blattman avatar image
Jeffrey Blattman answered nikkiblanco commented

This is more a question about how tethering works on the phone. If it routes hotspot traffic through the VPN then yes, the Clover device connected to the hotspot will be using the VPN. Clover devices aren't any different than mobile phones, tables, laptops or whatever else you might be tethering to the hotspot.

A little googling on the topic implies that hotspot traffic is generally not tunneled through a VPN on a phone. Or at best, it's an open question and depends on how this things are configured. I am not an expert here by any means.

When you create a hotspot you can configure what sort of wifi security you want. As long as you're use WPA2 and not sharing the passcode with untrusted parties using your own hotspot is secure as using any other wifi network that is similarly configured. Clover devices won't connect to insecure open, and WEP-based wifi network anyway.

It's also not clear how using a VPN would enhance the security. All communications to and from the Clover device are encrypted. While I'd always suggest using non-public networks (like your hotspot, if it's configured as I said above), using a Clover device on a public network isn't particularly unsafe either.

1 comment
10 |2000

nikkiblanco avatar image nikkiblanco commented ·
Thank you for your reply. I did tell the client to reach out to her carrier AT&T. If she need it additional answers. She also asked if we had a VPN app on the Clover and of course I said No since I research it.
1 Like 1 ·
ethas avatar image
ethas answered

If you know how to Connection to a VPN Hotspot in Hindi then Hindi FAQ provides information about VPNs.

10 |2000

ethas avatar image
ethas answered

If You want to know related to connecting to VPN Hosting. Delhi News Updates every time and anywhere.

10 |2000

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community