question

evillrich avatar image
evillrich asked Jeffrey Blattman answered

Override barcode scan within Register app

Hi,

Based on my understanding, the Register app supports scanning a product's barcode to look up the product prior to adding to an order. This assumes the barcode is defines the type of product being scanned - sort of like a model #.

I have the case where I want to scan an item that has barcode that presents a unique serial number. Therefore, I would like to override the behavor of the Register app to be able to scan this serial number and not attempt to lookup a product. My thought is that I would select a product and scan the barcode into a field on the product.

Is there a way to accomplish the above? Can I override the scanning behavior or the Register app or turn it off. I know I can use the Barcode broadcast to handle a scan but not sure this will work with the Register app...

Thanks in advance! evillrich

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Jeffrey Blattman avatar image
Jeffrey Blattman answered

No, the Register app is generally not customizable at that level.

I think to make this work, you'd need to use a Clover-unsupported USB scanner, and write code in your app to interface with the scanner. When something is scanned with your scanner, your app would handle it and do whatever you need to do, possibly updating the order in progress, or inventory (it was not clear to me what exactly you are trying to accomplish).

If the scanner is a Clover-supported scanner, Register is going to handle the scan if it's in the foreground. You can't change that.

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community