question

thepackienh avatar image
thepackienh asked thepackienh commented

Negative Inventory Counts Discontinued?

Not sure if my first post was deleted or something, but I don't have access to it anymore.

Recently, an update from Clover has altered the inventory system so that it no longer tracks negative numbers. This has crippled our ability to keep accurate inventory counts. Please bring back this ability or at least give us the option to allow it in the system. We will be forced to switch POS systems if we cannot properly track our inventory with Clover.

If anyone has a suggestion for how to get around this issue, it would be appreciated. Thanks

Inventory
3 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

growlers avatar image growlers commented ·
Hey - I did find a clumsy work around. I exported inventory to excel, then ran tons of clover reports. And spent almost all day matching qty sold for each item. Then I set each items inventory to 1000, subtracted the qty sold, and left that as each item's inventory. So if I sold 5 of an item, its inventory was 995, and so on. Then I uploaded back to clover. And as each item is sold, it tracks down. So theoretically, I can see a running "total" of how many sold if I can find a calculator or do math in my head, lol. But I agree completely -- taking away the negative inventory count is incredibly frustrating.
0 Likes 0 ·
David Marginian avatar image David Marginian ♦♦ growlers commented ·

Did you try looking at the Item Sales report to see how many items you sold?

0 Likes 0 ·
thepackienh avatar image thepackienh David Marginian ♦♦ commented ·
Yes. That isn't a great system either, as we need to know how many items we started with or the count doesn't work and referencing that number is time consuming when we need to do it for every item. If we carry it consistently, it provides no help. Also, only I have access to those reports, not the rest of the team. If they need to help a customer, the inventory counts being right no the register app was key.

We really just need the negative number option back. I appreciate all of the suggestions, but the old system wasn't broken. It didn't need to be fixed

0 Likes 0 ·
David Marginian avatar image
David Marginian Deactivated answered thepackienh commented

Your original post is here - https://community.clover.com/questions/31951/tracking-negative-inventory-numbers.html.. You should be able to access it, I did move it into a new "space" as it does not belong in "Semi-Integration".

1 comment
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

thepackienh avatar image thepackienh commented ·
Stll says "page not found"
0 Likes 0 ·
David Marginian avatar image
David Marginian Deactivated answered thepackienh commented

Couldn't you have a separate item for singles and a separate item for packs? When the items arrive estimate how many singles you will sell, split them out and update the stock quantity of the "single" item. Leave the remaining items in their packs and update the "pack" item with an accurate stock quantity. You could also accomplish this with variants (if your plan supports it) - https://www.clover.com/help/build-a-merchandise-inventory-or-restaurant-menu/?device=6bPIjSaxAQUg2eYAm6Kuiw#add-items-with-variants-by-entering-details.

9 comments
10 |2000

Hi David!

We already have separate item variants for singles and packs.

Unfortunately, this will not work for us as the vast majority of our items are in the front for retail customers to pick from. They decide if they would like something as a pack or single. We would not have time to update inventory numbers on packs vs singles between each transaction.

0 Likes 0 ·
David Marginian avatar image David Marginian ♦♦ thepackienh commented ·

Couldn't you sum all of the singles and packs and set the stock quantity of the singles to the total of both? The inventory you have left is the stock quantity of the singles - the number of packs you have sold.

0 Likes 0 ·
thepackienh avatar image thepackienh David Marginian ♦♦ commented ·
I think I understand what you are saying. If we start with 24 total cans, we set the number of singles to 24 and the number of 4-packs to 0?

There are different prices for singles vs packs and Clover doesn't have the ability to have one item deduct from another (selling a 4-pack would not deduct from the number of singles). I would much prefer if these items could deduct from the same inventory pool, as you suggested. If this is an option, I'd love to know how to do that

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
growlers avatar image
growlers answered thepackienh commented

I also used this as a way to see at a glance exactly how many of each item was sold all year. I did a work around where I set all quantities at 1000, then let clover subtract. So instead of it saying -45 (telling me I'd sold 45 of an item so far this year) it will say 955. Clunky, stupid, but at least I could get a running total.

I do think they should have a running total sold tracking option. And if you want to do inventory their traditional way, fine. But a running quanitity sold for each item would be a blessing.

1 comment
10 |2000

Yes. I thought about that too. I don't mind doing the work to update all of those numbers, but then we need to redo all of them when we do inventory valuation twice/year and then change them back. I'm going to start looking into a new POS system.

Thanks for posting. I'm glad I'm not alone in this issue

0 Likes 0 ·
growlers avatar image
growlers answered

Yes, I agree totally with the original poster. By their words, sounds like we have the same business. (Cases of beer to singles or 6pks? Trucks arriving almost daily?) The negative inventory count was a HUGE part of our inventory control -- as well as a way to track each item's qty total sold for the year.

I also agree that I don't see how the change helped anyone --- only hurt those of us that used it!

10 |2000

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community