question

greyskymedia avatar image
greyskymedia asked greyskymedia commented

List of pre-approved USB cameras

Howdy, I'm looking to extend my Clover App so that it can use a USB camera to take photos and store those for later usage. I read in a different post that Clover must whitelist a device before it can be used with Clover... makes sense, but I'm hoping to publish a list of pre-approved webcams so we're not guessing and sending frantic emails asking for devices to be whitelisted.

Where can I get this list?

App Marketclover developer community
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Richelle Herrli avatar image
Richelle Herrli answered

Because each Clover device has a built in cameras, there are currently no USB cameras whitelisted for Clover devices by default. Can you provide more about your use case to help us contextualize the benefits of a USB-connected camera?

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

greyskymedia avatar image
greyskymedia answered greyskymedia commented

Sure, thanks for responding Richelle.

We're building a Check-in component to our app and want to pull back a photo of the person when their barcode is scanned. Using the on-board camera isn't feasible for talking photos of a person standing in front of the device. A USB-attached webcam on a tripod would make it WAY easier to get a good photo.

If we went the route of taking the photo outside Clover it'd require the end user to use a computer and connect to our web app, which wouldn't be ideal in most situations.

Based on your response, would it be possible to whitelist just a handful of webcams? I could create a specific list of acceptable web cams and list that on our app's marketing page.

--

Another idea I had was to use a USB-attached phone, Apple or Android. I tried it, just to see what would happen but the device isn't accessible. The closest I was able to get was to connect the devices using bluetooth. I took a photo on the Android device and attempted to send it to the device, it said a file was incoming and I needed to verify that I wanted it, but there was no dialogue displayed to accept the incoming transfer.

2 comments
10 |2000

Richelle Herrli avatar image Richelle Herrli ♦♦ commented ·

When you take a photo of the user for check ins, what is the photo going to be used for? This sounds like a sensitive use case that will need to be vetted by our security team.

0 Likes 0 ·
greyskymedia avatar image greyskymedia Richelle Herrli ♦♦ commented ·

Purely to verify that the person checking in really is that person. it'll show on the clover device so the merchant can see that the barcode used really is that person.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community