question

karthik avatar image
karthik asked karthik commented

ES2018 is not supported in Android System webview on Clover Station 2018

Our clover application opens a web page using the native Android System webview and we are seeing that the es2018 features are not working in it

As seen from the System Settings -> Apps -> Android System Webview, the version of webview is 52.0.2743.100

Also we have noticed that the Android System Webview's latest version is v89.0

Can we expect upgrade for the webview application any time soon so that our webview will work as expected?

Device details:
Device: Clover Station 2018

Android OS Version - 7

Clover Station
1 comment
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

karthik avatar image karthik commented ·

The below screenshot is captured by loading the https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/ecma-script-version URL in Android System Webview from the clover application - It shows that it is using ES7 (ES2016)

es-version-clover-webview.png

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
David Marginian avatar image
David Marginian Deactivated answered karthik commented

"Can we expect upgrade for the webview application any time soon so that our webview will work as expected?"

I am not an expert in this area, but I expect the answer to be no, you should not expect an update. If you need the latest ES2018 features you would have to use a compiler like Babel to make your source compatible with features supported by the Webview version on the device.

1 comment
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

karthik avatar image karthik commented ·

Thanks for your reply David

Sure, I understand that we have to use a compiler - but the page we are trying to load is not in our control

I was just curious that all the android devices in market with same OS version as of clover station-2018 are using a v80 version of Android System Webview and hence checking if there is any plan from the clover to provide an update for the same

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community