question

msaleem avatar image
msaleem asked David Marginian Deactivated edited

Charge all metered events for our application at the end of the month

Hi Clover Community

How we will charge the merchants for the metered event if they had uninstalled the application, we want to charge all the metered events at the month-end. So the scenario is:

- Merchant downloads application

- Merchant sends SMS messages/incurs metered events

- Merchant uninstalls the application

How we will send the metered events if the merchant uninstalls the application before month end.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Gaurav

e-commerce apiMerchant
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

David Marginian avatar image
David Marginian Deactivated answered msaleem commented

You don't "charge" metered events, you record them. There is nothing that mandates when you record metered events. To avoid this issue simply record metered events as they happen, or perhaps daily.

1 comment
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

msaleem avatar image msaleem commented ·

Hi David

Thanks for the response, it really helped, just a few more questions/doubts

1. Is it possible to record the metered event after the app is uninstalled.

2. What is the cut-off time by which clover generates month-end billing and statement.

3. On statement there is a line item of every metered event, is it possible to get a statement with only one combined event records for the month, e.g. for 10 consecutive days we sent the 10 events to clover and on statement instead of showing 10 records can clover only show 1 record for all the 10 records.

Thanks in advance

0 Likes 0 ·
David Marginian avatar image
David Marginian Deactivated answered David Marginian Deactivated edited
1. Is it possible to record the metered event after the app is uninstalled.

Not if you want to receive money for it.

2. What is the cut-off time by which clover generates month-end billing and statement.

Example:

January metered events should be created before GMT midnight on Feb 1st.

On Feb 1 we gather all the metered events from Jan 1 00:00:00 to Jan 31 23:59:59 and we bill the merchant for those events

3. On statement there is a line item of every metered event, is it possible to get a statement with only one combined event records for the month, e.g. for 10 consecutive days we sent the 10 events to clover and on statement instead of showing 10 records can clover only show 1 record for all the 10 records.

The way the statement is generated, is the way the statement is generated.

2 comments
10 |2000

msaleem avatar image msaleem commented ·

Thanks for the quick response David. Still a bit confused/uneasy on the process. We are and have developed an SMS application and are going to be charging metered events based on message usage/count. With that said, I don't think it would be wise for us/clover billing to have a line item on the statement for each event (message) that's sent out. With that said, I have a few more questions:

1.) Do you have any advice on how to handle this or how others have handled it in the past?

2.) If we wait to send daily events, in order to eliminate for example 1000 lines of charges for 1000 messages that were sent out. Will we not be able to bill someone who uninstalls the app after sending messages? Example: Merchant logs in, merchant sends 1000 messages, merchant uninstalls the app. Will we be notified of the uninstall and asked for the events that need to be billed?

3.) If we send Clover the events as they happen, Clover will wait to bill them at the end of the month. How can we avoid Clover billing creating a line item for every event we've sent?

Apologies if I'm overcomplicating this. Just a bit confusing. Any elaboration you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes 0 ·
David Marginian avatar image David Marginian ♦♦ msaleem commented ·

I am sorry, aren't 1 and 3 the same question? If not then please clarify what you are asking. For 1 and 3, I just confirmed with billing that they do not charge for each individual event. A single charge is displayed on the merchant statement for all of the events. So, it sounds like the statement will be generated as you desire.

2.) If we wait to send daily events, in order to eliminate for example 1000 lines of charges for 1000 messages that were sent out. Will we not be able to bill someone who uninstalls the app after sending messages? Example: Merchant logs in, merchant sends 1000 messages, merchant uninstalls the app. Will we be notified of the uninstall and asked for the events that need to be billed?

You seem to be thinking that every time your record an event it will be a line item on the statement. As I said above, that isn't the case. As I previously said, you are in complete control of when you record events. If you are concerned about the situation you mention then record events more often (after every 25, 50, 100), but once the app has been uninstalled it is too late (that should be clear from my previous answer).

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community