question

jholderness avatar image
jholderness asked jwoods answered

Can we build an app that communicates with an external server?

We are wanting to add functionality that would require having to store additional information about customers and merchant services. To do this, we would develop our own API and database that our app would communicate with to store this information.

We'd like to know if that's acceptable to do, or if any other developers have successfully submitted apps that do this.

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jwoods avatar image
jwoods answered

I've been doing something similar for about two weeks. Simply generate and install an API token granting access to read/write the areas of your store which are needed. With the API token, you can use the REST API without having to go through the OAuth process.

You would have to pull data from Clover, and would not be able to get Clover to push data to your application (eg, get Clover to call your API). Still, you can get the data you need.

To create a token, go into your store and select "Setup". From the setup screen, select "API Tokens" on the left. The rest is pretty simple.

Using this token, you would query Clover, retrieve your data, and store it in your database.

I have not found a clear answer, but I believe API tokens are valid for one year.

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Brian Murray avatar image
Brian Murray Deactivated answered

There is no issue with an app communicating with an external server.

10 |2000

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community