question

deeveedee avatar image
deeveedee asked morenoh149 commented

Custom app to process coupons with QR codes

We need to develop a custom app for the Clover POS terminal that scans our own coupon QR codes and applies the coupon credit to the current customer order. Are the following required capabilities possible if we implement our app as an Android app (loaded on the POS device)? Are the following required capabilities possible if we implement via the Clover web api (accessed via browser on the Clover POS terminal)?

Required capabilities

1. After the customer order is complete, but before customer payment, Initiate coupon processing via a button on the POS terminal screen. Button press launches our custom coupon app
  2. Custom coupon app scans QR code via the front-facing camera on the POS terminal
  3. Custom coupon app supplies coupon credit to Clover POS via Clover API and then custom app closes to return to the Clover POS
  4. Clover POS applies coupon credit (supplied by custom coupon app) as a deduction off of the purchase total (credit applied after tax)
  5. Clover POS processes customer payment as a normal transaction, with the new purchase total being the original purchase total + tax, less the coupon credit. For example, if the original purchase total with tax is $20.00 and the scanned coupon is for $10.00, the Clover POS processes the customer payment for $10.00).

Thank you.

5 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

deeveedee avatar image deeveedee commented ·

Thanks again, Jeff, for the quick reply! I completely agree that the proper tax handling of discounts is "pre-tax.".

Specific to the Clover Android API, does it provide a mechanism for applying an after-tax customer credit to an order (e.g. if the order total with tax is $20.00, will the Android API allow us to apply a $15.00 credit so that the new after tax purchase total is $5.00 to be paid by the customer)? And can we read the order total with tax via the Android API?

Thank you very much for your continued help!

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeffrey Blattman avatar image Jeffrey Blattman ♦♦ commented ·

No, we do not support post-tax discounts / credits (AKA vouchers).

0 Likes 0 ·

Jef - I received your response indicating that the Android API does not support post-tax credits/vouchers. Thanks again for your quick reply. There is a gift card app available on the clover POS (which we're not using). Does the gift card app available on the Clover POS apply gift card credit as a pre-tax discount or post-tax credit? Assuming that it applies the gift card credit post-tax (as would be expected), how does it do it and is this mechanism available to 3rd party apps via the Android API? Thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·

On Clover gift cards are treated as tenders. That is, a gift card is a method of payment. Clover supports the idea of "custom tenders" that can be implemented by third party apps. Custom tenders that process gift cards are accepted on a case-by-case basis and really depends on the nature of your system. Please contact appmarketbusiness@clover.com for more information. In addition there are a few technical details, like the gift BIN ranges need to be registered with us so we know to treat them as non-financial cards.

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks again, Jeff. That makes perfect sense. I'll contact appmarketbusiness@clover.com as you suggested.

You have been incredibly helpful. I appreciate your patience with my questions. Thank you.

Have a great 4th-of-July weekend.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeffrey Blattman avatar image
Jeffrey Blattman answered

re: via web browser. No, that won't work. You don't have access to the hardware from the browser. Additionally, only Clover Station has a browser. Clover Mini and Mobile do not have a browser.

Obviously I can't design your app here, but the rest sounds reasonable. I think you'd do this by implement ACTION_MODIFY_ORDER to allow the merchant to pop out to your app to perform the scan and apply a discount to the order.

Clover has support for barcode readers. On some devices that's a camera, but on others it is an actual barcode reader. See the class BarcodeResult in the Clover Android SDK for how to user the barcode reader in a device-agnostic manner.

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

deeveedee avatar image
deeveedee answered morenoh149 commented

Thank you, Jeff. I appreciate your quick and thorough response!

I've read posts in this forum where others have attempted to apply an after-tax credit and ended up applying a pre-tax discount instead. We would need to apply the custom coupon amount as a credit deducted from the after-tax purchase total. Can our custom coupon be applied to the order as a post-tax credit (not a pre-tax discount) via the Clover Android API?

Also, could our custom coupon app read the post-tax order total from the Clover POS via the Android API before providing the post-tax credit via the Android API?

Again, thank you very much for your great support!

3 comments
10 |2000

Discounts are pre-tax.

0 Likes 0 ·
jawheele avatar image jawheele commented ·

EDIT: I was suggesting the approach of customer tenders, but then I saw Jeff already did that in a later comment. Sorry for the needless notification! But if you have further questions about going through this process, I'm actually in development of an application that does exactly the workflow you describe in the original post, and that part of the application is already functioning, so I may be able to offer help!

0 Likes 0 ·
morenoh149 avatar image morenoh149 jawheele commented ·

I'd be interested in speaking to you about this flow. Do you have an email I can use?

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community