question

Dan avatar image
Dan asked victorespina answered

Determine if a payment card is inserted into the device

Hi folks,

Is it possible to determine if a card has been inserted into the chip reader via the SDK? Ideally, we would like to ensure a card is still inserted into a device or if it has been removed. And in a best case scenario, make sure it is the card that performed the most recent card transaction.

Edit:

The reason for this is that I've been told by a client that carrying out a further operation on a user's credit card account (working with the credit card company) might require that the card is inserted into the device for some compliance reasons I am still not fully aware of. So I've been asked to verify if something like that is even possible.

Thanks!

Payments
2 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jacob Abrams avatar image Jacob Abrams ♦♦ commented ·

Can you explain what you are trying to accomplish? Third party apps cannot use the payment interfaces such as the chip card reader directly.

0 Likes 0 ·
Dan avatar image Dan Jacob Abrams ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks Jacob, I know it sounds like an unusual use case, I have edited the question with slightly more detail. I highly doubted this would be possible as there is probably very little reason to expose a feature like that to developers, just double checking more than anything

0 Likes 0 ·
Jeffrey Blattman avatar image
Jeffrey Blattman answered Dan commented
The reason for this is that I've been told by a client that carrying out a further operation on a user's credit card account (working with the credit card company) might require that the card is inserted into the device

If by "further operation" you mean an additional transaction, the only way to accomplish that is by removing the card and performing a second transaction. There's not a way to re-use the card for a second transaction if it happens to still be inserted.

And as Jacob said above, as an app you are limited to starting a Clover app to perform a transaction. Developer apps aren't privy to the details of interacting with the chip card reader (and trust me that's a Good Thing if you value your sanity).

1 comment
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Dan avatar image Dan commented ·

Thanks Jeff, no it wasn't another Clover transaction but something the credit card company are providing their customers. That's what I suspected, I will let my people know :)

0 Likes 0 ·
David Marginian avatar image
David Marginian Deactivated answered David Marginian Deactivated commented

Android SDK or one of our Remote Pay/Clover Connector SDKs?

2 comments
10 |2000

Dan avatar image Dan commented ·

Hi David, apologies it would be from the Android SDK

0 Likes 0 ·
David Marginian avatar image David Marginian ♦♦ Dan commented ·

I am not certain, I would have to defer to @Jeffrey Blattman.

0 Likes 0 ·
victorespina avatar image
victorespina answered

This interest me also. In my case, I have two requirements from my customer:

1) I would like to detect when the card is operated to start the clover's payment request process. Right now, the user must click a button on the screen on my app to start the payment request.

2) My customer issue "loyalty cards" to their vip customers, that they can use to get some "vip points" when they but in my customer's stores. So, my customer wants the app to be able to read the data on those cards, after the sale is completed, so they can credit the loyalty points.

Is this possible with the Clover's SDK ?

Victor

10 |2000

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community