question

jasonbanks avatar image
jasonbanks asked greyskymedia commented

Release Group, when will terminal get updated?

Have created a release group to get our app on our production test terminal, but the terminal is not updating. Have restarted, and still not taking. Is there a timeframe/delay before the terminal will take updates as provisioned in a release group?

App Market
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

David Marginian avatar image
David Marginian Deactivated answered greyskymedia commented

The act of creating a release group and assigning it to an approved APK will result in the merchants in that release group automatically receiving the new APK in the next update cycle. Note - You should NOT publish an APK if you only want members of a release group to receive it. Publishing will make your APK available to ALL merchants regardless of merchant group.

The installation of the APK on the device may take up to two days depending on actions taken by the merchant. The device will check periodically (at least once per day) for updates. If updates are found they are downloaded. If the check has already happened for the day, the updates won't be downloaded until the next reboot. Once the updates have been downloaded the merchant will receive a notification and can proceed with the install. If the merchant ignores the notification the updates will be silently installed after the next reboot.

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Nicholas Ho avatar image
Nicholas Ho answered greyskymedia commented

UPDATE - THE INFORMATION BELOW IS NO LONGER ACCURATE, PLEASE SEE THE APPROVED ANSWER!

Corrections:

1 If the APK is approved, be sure to select “Publish to App Market”

Do NOT do this. This will result in the APK being pushed to ALL merchants.

2 "There shouldn’t be a delay ..."

The app will be pushed to the merchant as normal updates are so a reboot cycle or two may be necessary.

Original Post (OUTDATED):

There shouldn’t be a delay when updating an app for a release group unless the merchant’s device is not properly connected to wifi.

If the APK is approved, be sure to select “Publish to App Market” in your developer dashboard, under App Releases, for the APK to be pushed to the merchants in the release group.

https://docs.clover.com/clover-platform/docs/app-submission#section-apk-approval-statuses

10 comments
10 |2000

jasonbanks avatar image jasonbanks commented ·

Nicholas, if the app is being pushed out in a Release Group, setting the app to Published defeats the purpose does it not? If I mark an approved app as Published, does that not mean that EVERYONE will get updated, as well as that becomes the default version?

1 Like 1 ·
greyskymedia avatar image greyskymedia jasonbanks commented ·

This is EXACTLY my concern. I don't want to update EVERYONE. I have an open question here https://community.clover.com/questions/24820/release-groups-app-install-stuck.html and am stuck in "install pending". I'm worried that if I update status to published that it'll go out to ALL merchants. it SHOULD be fine, but as you've said, isn't this the point of staging rollouts?

0 Likes 0 ·
David Marginian avatar image David Marginian ♦♦ greyskymedia commented ·

Correction:

As of the time of this writing our documentation is NOT accurate. Publishing an APK will result in ALL merchants receiving it during the next update cycle.

Note: I have created an issue to have our documentation corrected.

Original Post:

Per Nicholas:

If the APK is approved, be sure to select “Publish to App Market” in your developer dashboard, under App Releases, for the APK to be pushed to the merchants in the release group.

Per our docs:

https://docs.clover.com/clover-platform/docs/app-submission#section-apk-approval-statuses

Published: The APK version is published to the Clover App Market. If release groups have been set for the APK version, the APK is pushed only to merchants in those release groups.

Is there something not clear here or do you not trust that it is accurate?

1 Like 1 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community