Hi, a merchant has reported an issue with Payments Plus custom tenders and tips support. We had not considered tips in our app flow, and in my opinion this is a bug in Clover's implementation but would love some feedback.
- If a Sale amount of $1.00 is made in the Sale app, and the customer chooses a tip of 15%, the Intents.EXTRA_AMOUNT amount that is passed to our application via our customer tender is $1.00.
- The Intents.EXTRA_TIP_AMOUNT is correctly set to $0.15c
- Because our app was not considering tips, when we set a payment amount result of $1.00, the order is registered as fully paid, including the tip. Obviously we only asked to pay for $1.00, so I believe Clover should be presenting the partial payment flow in this case to allow any tender to pay for the remainder amount of $0.15.
- Not only that, but if I manually set a payment amount of EXTRA_AMOUNT + EXTRA_TIP_AMOUNT, a payment of $1.30 is registered.
- So when processing a tender click, we need to examine the tip amount, but when closing out the sale, we need to disregard it.
- One of my pastimes is doing as little as possible. So ideally Clover should be sending us an EXTRA_AMOUNT of $1.15 here, as this is what the customer is expecting to pay. That means my app will continue to work as desired and I don't need to consider tips at all.
- Alternatively (I am acutely aware that these things take months to fix), if I manually resolve this, is it likely that Clover may come along and apply the fix I have suggested, which would therefore break any manual fix I apply?