question

timkelly248 avatar image
timkelly248 asked timkelly248 answered

can you create an order with a different inventory file structure?

I'm not real thrilled with the restrictions placed on the Register App (orders) that happen because of the way the inventory file is structured. Is it possible to use a different structure to the inventory file? It doesn't work well with pizzas for example.
OrdersInventory
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

zgreathouse avatar image
zgreathouse Deactivated answered timkelly248 commented
The structure of an inventory item object is set. When writing to the database (creating an item), specific fields are expected/ allowed. For something like pizzas I would recommend utilizing modifiers/ modifier groups for different toppings/ types of toppings.

Please see our docs on modifiers here:
https://www.clover.com/us/en/help/use-item-modifiers/

For a more in depth look at the structure of an item object you can review our API reference docs here:
https://docs.clover.com/clover-platform/reference#createitem-1
2 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

timkelly248 avatar image timkelly248 commented ·
I have, and have used a very clunky inventory item structure for several years now, which is why I hoping to rewrite this. The catergory/item/modifier structure breaks down at half item pizza, causing the creation of hundreds upon hundreds of additional modifiers that could be eliminated by adding one additional level to the structure
0 Likes 0 ·
I understand, and will have to do that. I'm not the best coder out there, and would've loved to just be able to extend the orders app to allow an additional nest of category/item/modifier.
0 Likes 0 ·
Lee Tickett avatar image
Lee Tickett answered timkelly248 commented
You can't change the structure on an order, but there is no reason why you can't replace the register & inventory with your own app (we have done this for many of our apps). This would allow you to have any combination/hierarchy/structure.
Shout if you have any questions.
Thanks
L
1 comment
10 |2000

Are you replacing the Orders app also, or condensing items so they fit within the other structure? Seems to me the whole system is built around the Orders App: Register: Inventory, Payment.

0 Likes 0 ·
timkelly248 avatar image
timkelly248 answered
Sorry, not a Merchant question, although I am a Merchant as well. The options with the Inventory app are lacking to easily and gracefully support pizza restaurants. I figured I may as well brush off some old programming skills to alleviate the situation I have.
10 |2000

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community